cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting and calling from Denmark to the UK.

Rangatang
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have just installed a new payg sim card in my phone. I live in Denmark. My phone will not text or call to the UK and I do not know why. O2 have not helped as they tell me I have to call them. I am using a Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra.

Any ideas why I'm not able to communicate with UK phones?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You need to add credit to activate the sim

If you have done this already there may be a roaming bar on the sim

If so

You'll need to call customer service.
Numbers here

Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 
When it comes to the reason you are calling stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say "Upgrade", "Lost/Stolen" or "Fraud" if you have to, to get put through to someone.
8.00am is the best time to call if you can.

Message 2 of 9

Rangatang
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
BTW I can receive texts. I have just under £10 left on my balance and I have removed the bolt on about travel calls opt out (or equivalent).
Message 3 of 9

Rangatang
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The sim has credit, but I cannot call any O2 numbers. I can't even reply to a text they sent me. I'm guessing it must be a phone setting?
Message 4 of 9

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Rangatang 

O2 sim cards are for use in the UK primarily.

Most often they won't activate properly unless connected to O2-UK and continued use abroad will result in higher charges.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 9

Rangatang
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you for that. I plan to return to the UK, but I need a UK phone to call all the UK people to set up the return (schools, estate agents etc). This sim is supposed to help me connect to the UK. My plan is to set up a contract once I have a phone number and then I can use the pac code.
Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Understand, but as I said, you need to set up a UK sim in the UK.
It was the same for me when I wanted a French sim card. I had to be in France to activate it but I can now use it occasionally from the UK.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 9

Rangatang
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ah OK....so I need to fly to the UK to activate it on its 'home plate' then it will recognise itself as being a UK sim. 

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Yes, exactly that @Rangatang 

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9