Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing a Doro 6520 handset without a SIM card

ggabu
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just bought my mother a new Doro 6520 handset on PAYG. The handset was purchased direct from o2 and in compliance with their 14 day returns policy, I would like to show it to my mother before we spend any further money on top-ups. I have litterally just purchased the handset yesterday, with an expected delivery for today. So, I am just trying to pre-warn myself by getting some advice here.

Can I do anything with the handset without needing to top-up first?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@ggabu the phone will do everything apart from calls and texts prior to topping up.

If you do top up and then return the phone, you will lose your top up value.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@ggabu

You are allowed to top up and try it before returning if you don't like the phone or it doesn't suit your Mum

Use a voucher for the first top up

Change of mind policy here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-change-of-mind-policy

Ways to top up (after using voucher here) https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-to-Top-Up-PAYG/ba-p/1156408

Best of luck and welcome to the forum Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

ggabu
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff

Thanks for the reply, but it does not really answer my question. If I top-up, it will cost me an extra £10 for the top up. So, my question was, can I show my mother the handset and any of its functions without needing to top up?

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@ggabu the phone will do everything apart from calls and texts prior to topping up.

If you do top up and then return the phone, you will lose your top up value.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@ggabu

Oh sorry...yes you can show her all the functions of the phone. Adding the sim and topping up will show her how she can call and text (and can be tested).

So really you don't need the sim in to show her how the phone works. wink

Hope that helps innocent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 6

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

PS   Could you put your own sim in the phone for mother to test its calls / text capability initially, as a first time test. And can one not have a free sim with 1.00 - 5.00 on it. ??? Id be interested to know - see below

Disabled people

This query of interest to disabled people , eg sensory, (blind and deaf) and physically. 

Im hoping that 02 has changed its policy as I have never ,before, been able to purchase a phone from 02.  The reason - I was never allowed to take it away, test it and return it. 

My deafness has deteriorated in recent years therefore I would need to test calls to a variety of people (voice decibels vary). When I asked 02 store in the past they've told me that was to do this.

I buy from Action for Hearing Loss or Hearing Link. They allow 28 days no quibble return as well as advice.

IF 02 has LISTENED to our lobbying - WELL DONE. It doesnt match disability groups but we are getting there.

Message 6 of 6