Sim/Account Ownership Letter - About to throw my phone out the window

olw_josh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Frustrating rant ahead. 

Bit of context, I bank with Monzo and have a PAYG sim with o2

Monzo have asked for me to verify my telephone number with them by providing a "Sim Ownership Letter / Account Ownership Letter / Sim Purchase Reciept" from O2 as my number is currently registered to someone else's account, so I need to prove its mine in order to rectify this. 

Fast forward 4 days later, I've spoken with 4445 (the supposed PAYG team) on four separate occasions with zero success, nobody knows what I'm talking about and say they can't help me as they can't view any details of me having an account, they tell me to go to the physical store or try live chat 

Both live chat and the store tell me it's not possible and point me back to 4445 the customer service team. 

I've tried to raise a complaint but nobody ever responds, I've tried live chat over and over (how awful of a service btw) and keep getting the same copy and pasted messages before the chat terminates and a follow up "rate your interaction" text comes through.

Why is it so hard as a PAYG customer to get any sort of proof that it's indeed registered to me and that I pay the top up each month, why is it so hard to speak to someone without them transferring me to a different department or sending me round in a loop?

Anyone have any idea that will prevent me from throwing my phone out the window 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36749 Posts
  • 237 Topics
  • 1654 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Indeed, socials suggested at the top of the page.

Clearly tl;dr 😉

Message 11 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145359 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27930 Solutions

Just pointless further post distractions.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 12 of 16

Oxonian
Level 30: Meditator
  • 6703 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 24 Solutions

@olw_josh wrote:

You misread the point, a random someone in the world has used my number when setting up a Monzo account, I guess by accident. So now monzo need to check this number is really mine.

@olw_josh 

I am absolutely bemused by this and would suggest that it isn't your problem. 

Surely the issue is between Monzo and the person trying to open the account ? 

If you tell Monzo that you have not tried to open an account with them and will not be communicating with them further, then they will have revert to their potential customer and refuse to open the account.  

Message 13 of 16

olw_josh
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bank with monzo myself as mentioned in original post - all I’m trying to do is link my o2 number with my monzo account but I can’t because someone has already used my number

also, update o2 told me everything was good and they will get me a proof of usage letter out for my payg sim, I chased today and got this

😔 Proof of usage will refer to your handset only. When you're a Pay As You Go, your sim is not registered to your name unless you're in a Pay Monthly. As a resolution for this, are you able to log in to My O2? If not, try to register here ➡️ https://accounts.o2.co.uk/register This is the only way you can see that this number belongs to you.‘

pretty frustrating that so far I’ve been told 6 different things and my complaint after the first days phone calls still haven’t been addressed. 

Message 14 of 16

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10334 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3030 Solutions

@olw_josh 

Why not call o2 and ask them to change your number to a new number, as that way you know it hasnt been used, unfortunately that will mean you would have to give your new number to everyone. 

This is the problem with PAYG there is no requirement to capture any data on the customer.. A couple of other things that might help:

1. Top up the phone using the o2 website

2. Ask Monzo for exactly what they need? It would be worth knowing if this is to open an account, or is for an account that you have currently have open. 

3. Port the o2 number out to another Network such as Three or EE, who might need you to register before you port in..

Sorry to say but you are in the hands of Monzo and what they will accept

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 15 of 16

deag123456
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think a new number is your only choice, I am not sure O2 will know you own the number either. 

Message 16 of 16