cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security code sent to old number, can't create a new account ...

Lostmind
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Long-shot, and probably a little waffly, so I apologise in advance.

I can log into My O2 account, both with the email and password and by using my number; can check my tariff, topup, everything else. But when I try to access my details it brings up a security code box saying it's sent a code to xyz number, but this is an old number I haven used for years, and it never gives an option to choose my current number.

While I think I know a solution, I thought I'd post in-case anyone else had/has this issue.

I phoned the help line and was, ultimately, told that if I had another email, I should create a new My O2 account. But when I try, it asks for your number first ... and of-course, when I do, it says there's an account already with that number and do I want to reset my password ... which I don't. So it seems I'm left with having to order a new sim card and start over.

Okay, I know it isn't the end of the world, but it just seems odd that 1) I don't even get the option of number to send the code to and 2) That the ONLY solution is to start a completely fresh account.

Well, vent over. Any ideas welcomed, but will be ordering a new sim I think.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147415 Posts
  • 637 Topics
  • 28316 Solutions

@Lostmind 

If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 5

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Hi @Lostmind were you able to get in touch with O2 via social media?

Message 3 of 5

Lostmind
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not on Twitter, but haven't tried FB or Instagram, because I've already ordered a new sim. I should have added that the operator I talked to was really nice and easy to deal with, but I was still a little frustrated that I could confirm myself and my current number to actually talk to someone at O2, but they couldn't cancel/disregard an older number that hasn't been used in years. So, I'll just start over.

If others have this problem, hopefully try the social media route will work; just seems silly to have to go all around the houses to find a solution, rather than going direct to the company.

PS. Thanks to you Breanna and MI5 for your replies 👍👍

Message 4 of 5

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

@Lostmind well it's good to hear you had a decent experience with customer service, at least. All questions are worth asking around here so it was worth a shot!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Message 5 of 5