Did you mean: 

Sat Nav Tethering 02 Classic

Titanium
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi,

I had to move to 02 Classic after my talkmobile tariff became obsolete about 5 months ago.

I occasionally use a sat nav for long trips which has live traffic updates on it, they work via Bluetooth to the phone, and then to the internet via WiFi or data.

The problem is, since changing to 02, the sat nav traffic will no longer work via data. It still works through WiFi at home but obviously that's not much use for a sat nav lol.

I was told this sort of tethering is allowed on 02 as I asked before changing over. So is there anything I need to do on the phone or sim to make it work?

Thanks
Tom
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
That’s why we asked @Marjo for clarification and o2 confirmed it was available.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 41 of 45

Titanium
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Got the SIM I ordered myself within 2 days. Done the SIM swap yesterday which worked fine.

BUT... Still the same with the hotspot, will connect but no internet access.

@Marjo could you check that it should work with Android phones, and not just iPhones on PAYG please?
Message 42 of 45

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Confirmed in this thread from January if you read through from here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As-You-Go/Hotspot-issue/m-p/1106872#M7481 but, wethink it may be firmware dependant on phone.
Is yours a newish phone on the latest firmware?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 43 of 45

Titanium
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's a Moto G3 (as in that link!), bought mine in Jan 2016 so a couple of years old, but been having this issue for 6 months now.  I'm not sure if it's on the latest firmware,  it should auto update though.

I dont understand why it would work with a talkmobile SIM if it's the phone at fault though?

Message 44 of 45

MI5
  • 144198 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
The o2 sim is the key to it working or not for sure but it seems that it only works on android with the newest phones for some reason.
Really to prove it you need your sim in different phones to find to point it starts to work.

Currently using:
Message 45 of 45