Did you mean: 

SIM swap not completed

adrian6
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

Over 28 hours ago, I have started the process to swap my sim card. The old one was fine, but it is mini size and my new phone only takes nano SIMS. I've started this online and have received the text saying that it has started. After roughly 24 hours there was no signal on the old phone with the old SIM and I've restarted my new phone. It didn't connect to the network automatically, so I've managed to connect to it manually by selecting the operator. Once I'm logged in, I am reachable and can use the network. The issue is that the new SIM hasn't received its new phone number (the phone shows to me as unknown) and the SIM doesn't seem to know, which networks it's allowed to use. I've tryied to explain to the O2 on chat but the person that I was chatting to, claimed that no SIM swap request was filled and insisted on a new SIM being sent and manually starting the process with security check (why?).

Wouldn't a service message sent to my SIM suffice (like when the number is ported from another network)? Can anyone tell me if I really need to replace the new SIM even though it's fine, but just needs to receive its new phone number?

Thanks in advance,

adrian6

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

adrian6
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Martin-O2,

thanks for looking into this.

Can you tell me, how this connectivity issue will be resolved? Do you mean that this network doesn't have it, so this is not a problem or do you mean that my SIM card needs to be logged in to its home network for the network list to be updated?

What about the number issue? Is it as MI5 mentioned it that the number is no longer written to it?

I'm going to be back in the UK around Christmas time, so for now I suppose that I should refrain from switching off the phone if possible, right?

Message 11 of 18

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @adrian6 I don't know the technical workings behind it but they said that your sim need to sync with the UK network to resolve the issue you've had automatically connecting to networks. 

For the number not being on your sim I'll have to raise that as a separate query so will get back to you on that. 

I don't see an issue with turning off the phone unless you've experienced it losing the network when you've done so in the past? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 12 of 18

adrian6
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Martin-O2,

yes that it exactly the point. If I turn off the phone and switch it back on, then the phone won't connect to any network unless I search for one manually. Then it's fine.

Message 13 of 18

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

OK understood @adrian6. From what I was told your issue can only be resolved by connecting to the UK network so unfortunately you will have to either avoid turning the phone off or continue to select a network manually until you're back in the UK. 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 14 of 18

adrian6
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK, @Martin-O2,

I understand. I'll let you know if the issue is resolved on my return, so that you and others find out about this. Should anything happen in the meantime (I don't expect it but who knows), I'll also let you know.

Thank you for the assistance so far!

Message 15 of 18

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

No problem at all @adrian6 and please do give us an update once you're back in the UK or if anything changes in the mean time. It's always good to know how things turn out and it's nice to have a chain of events for anyone reading the topic in a similar situation. 

signature

Message 16 of 18

adrian6
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello @Martin-O2,

I hope that you've had great Christmas and the start into the New Year.

As promised, I'd like to let you know what happened in the meantime. I'm in the UK and when I came out of the Channel Tunnel and once I no longer had the French signal, my phone couldn't find any signal, so I was forced to search for the network manually. Once I did that and logged on to the O2 network, there was no more issue with the phone being unable to find the network again after coming out from a no signal area. (The coverage around the High Speed 1 is quite patchy and that seems to apply to all UK networks...). Apart from this I haven't experienced any further issues. I did reboot my phone to ensure any updates from the network came into effect.

With regards to the phone number being written to the SIM card (and the phone), this still hasn't happened, which is a shame, because it really is annoying. This is especially the case because the previous SIM had it even though the number was ported from another network.

Whether the list of roaming partners got updated is not clear to me because my current phone (Huawei P20 lite) doesn't show it at all and the service code (*#*#2846579#*#*) doesn't lead to this. The other one (*#*#6130#*#*) is not even accepted. So, we'll have to wait until I go abroad again, which will be soon. I will try to put the SIM card into a phone that is capable of showing this information, if the issue persists.

Message 17 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions
Your number won't magically appear on your sim as O2 don't push numbers to sim cards. You'll have to use another device to manually write the number to sim yourself.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 18