Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retaining or using a pay as you go balance

Buzz1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have Pay and Go phone with a large balance that I do not want to lose. I need to take my existing number (via PAC code) to a new network but could retain a presence on o2 with my current phone AND BALANCE and a new number. Alternatively use the balance to make a purchase from o2? Anyone have any advice please.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144350 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

You can't keep your balance if you port away from O2.
The only way to keep it is if you move to a contract with o2, in which case up to £350 can be transferred.
If you want to buy stuff you can use charge to mobile https://www.o2.co.uk/charge-to-mobile or make charitable donations from your phone.

In case it's needed, how to get PAC here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-to-get-your-PAC-2017-Update/ba-p/1052278

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144350 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

You can't keep your balance if you port away from O2.
The only way to keep it is if you move to a contract with o2, in which case up to £350 can be transferred.
If you want to buy stuff you can use charge to mobile https://www.o2.co.uk/charge-to-mobile or make charitable donations from your phone.

In case it's needed, how to get PAC here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-to-get-your-PAC-2017-Update/ba-p/1052278

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Buzz1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks for the information.

Taking up one of your suggestions, could I move to a contract with o2 retaining my pay as you go balance but with a different number, as I want my existing number to transfer elsewhere, and if so in what order would I do things because the moment I activate PAC code I understand my current contact (and balance?) would be cancelled.

Alternatively if I want to make a charitable donation how do I do that?

(Thanks for the PAC code link, I do need that.)

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144350 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Unfortunately not, you must retain the number that the current balance is attached to.
For charitable donations, look at the website of the relevant charity and find the text code, then simply text the number with the amount you wish to donate.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Buzz1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. One last question if I may, can I make a purchase from (say) Google Play Store using Charge to Mobile but do it from a non-o2 phone (because I would want whatever digital goods I purchased to be on my non-o2 phone (so before I activate a PAC code).

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144350 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Once you buy from Google play it's yours to put on any device as long as you are signed in with the same Google account.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Buzz1
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Magic, thank you. a more helpful and comprehensive reply than ever I would get from o2 shop! If you have a favourite "people based" charity as well as Children in Need please let me know, I will be pleased to support.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144350 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
My other supported charity which helps us all in some way at some time https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8