Did you mean: 

Receiving Phone calls while in Saudi Arabia

Classicus
Level 3: Thinker
  • 31 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,
I am expecting a phone call to be made through my UK number.  The call might last up to 60 minutes.  I have 3 questions, please:-

1. As far as O2 is concerned, to ensure that my mobile rings when the call is received, I must have enough credit.   Is there any other step I should take, for example, turn off Voicemail?  (Please excuse my ignorance)

2. Is the cost £1.50 per minute?

3. Is there a way of reducing the cost, for example buying another bundle, or that would not make a difference?

Would greatly appreciate your help.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146717 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@Classicus 

Nothing you can do on PAYG except use WhatsApp for the call over wifi.

Always turn off voicemail when abroad.

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 146717 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@Classicus 

Always turn off voicemail when abroad.

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10573 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3093 Solutions

@MI5 

WhatsApp is banned in Saudi Arabia for Voice and Video Calls, so the only option is the £1.50 a minute option...  @Classicus 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 146717 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

Screwed then, or just use WhatsApp for messaging.

Or use a VPN https://www.01net.com/en/vpn/whatsapp-calls-saudi-arabia/

Message 4 of 8

Classicus
Level 3: Thinker
  • 31 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

MI5,
Actually phone calls are not allowed in Saudi Arabia and some other countries.  What is allowed is what they call "Voice Message" - a message is recorded and sent - not a phone call.

Does O2 allow changing from PAYG to "Pay Monthly" for a month or a so and then go back to PAYG?  And would that make it less expensive to receive calls while in Saudi Arabia?

Message 5 of 8

japitts
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 125 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Classicus 

WhatsApp only allows for "calls" between users of the app. Direct-dialled calls can be made or received to any working phone.

Message 6 of 8

Classicus
  • 31 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The cost is actually £2 per minute!

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 146717 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28245 Solutions

@Classicus wrote:

Does O2 allow changing from PAYG to "Pay Monthly" for a month or a so and then go back to PAYG?  And would that make it less expensive to receive calls while in Saudi Arabia?

You'd have to switch to a 30 day contract to do that or use Nord VPN as suggested to use Whatsapp.

Message 8 of 8