Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preventing a SIM swap attack on PAYG

See02
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a PAYG sim, and have set up s sim pin lock. How can I further prect my SIM from a sim swap attack? How do i prevent people from issuing a sim in my name. Can I add a password to my 02 account to somehow authorise any sim request made?

Many thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Interesting Q - having to watch this for a quick refresher, perhaps we could both derive a little benefit @See02

Skip forward to 2:22 to jump the sponsorship plugs... 

Message 2 of 5

See02
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

To answer my own Q. I rang 4445. They set up a pin code for me. This code will prevent anyone applying for a new sim without the code.

They also confirmed the pin on my voice mail resets to default after a coule of months of innactivity. Hopefully, this will be a remedied by 02, as it seems a massive security issue to me in this day and age when we are more reliant on our phones for banking activities.

Message 3 of 5

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35800 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1584 Solutions

Sounds like you are on the ball, @See02!

I have my phone set never to go to voicemail, can't remember the last time I used O2 voicemail... I probably should, if only to keep the pin set away from default. 

Any question that is a journey of discovery is a good question! 

Message 4 of 5

See02
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. Turned off. The obvious solution really.

Thanks also for the you tube link. Some good tips there about apps, and using encryption for code transmission.

Cheers

Message 5 of 5