Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaid package for long term travel Thailand

McS
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I will be living in Thailand for six months from 1st July. My father has recently gone into care and I want to keep my UK phone number so i can be contacted in an emergency. I currently have a £30 prepaid bundle which gives me calls, texts and 100GB data..
What would be the most economic prepaid package to stay connected ? I need to retain my number and recieve limited calls and SMS. I will get a local SIM for data and all other uses.
Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93183 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The best option would be to change to a £10 bundle until you come back to the UK or port your number to giffgaff or Tesco where you can get a cheap tariff that you dont need to top up each month

Charges for calls and texts are expensive in Thailand. Data is charged @£7.20p/MB

Just keep your number for emergencies as your package doesn't cover you for use out of the EU Zone

Get yourself a Thai P&G sim card from any 7/11 store for use over there and call charges back to the UK are cheaper than using your O2 sim.

You need your passport to purchase one

Charges for using your O2 sim are below

Texts are free to receive

We always suggest using WhatsApp or Messenger to keep in touch as wifi is available in most bars, restaurants and hotels

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

jonsie
  • 93183 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The best option would be to change to a £10 bundle until you come back to the UK or port your number to giffgaff or Tesco where you can get a cheap tariff that you dont need to top up each month

Charges for calls and texts are expensive in Thailand. Data is charged @£7.20p/MB

Just keep your number for emergencies as your package doesn't cover you for use out of the EU Zone

Get yourself a Thai P&G sim card from any 7/11 store for use over there and call charges back to the UK are cheaper than using your O2 sim.

You need your passport to purchase one

Charges for using your O2 sim are below

Texts are free to receive

We always suggest using WhatsApp or Messenger to keep in touch as wifi is available in most bars, restaurants and hotels

Capture.JPG

Message 2 of 3

Cleoriff
  • 122816 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@McS 

The only thing I would add to the excellent advice given by @jonsie, is to turn your voicemail off before you leave the UK. If not, you will be charged twice. Once for receiving the VM and then again if you listen to it.

1760 to turn off

1750 to turn back on.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 3