Did you mean: 

PAYG phone unlocking charges

Nick9
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I tried to unlock my PAYG phone - the O2 Help page states 'If you’re on Pay As You Go, your O2 phone or tablet can be unlocked at any time, for free.', but both my My O2 account and customer services say there is a £15 charge, to which I cannot find any reference.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks,

PAYG.PNG

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff@jonsie Yes it was a nice surprise! 

@MI5 Sure no problem, I'll confirm the finer points and let you know so you can get your guide updated. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 21 of 55

AK04
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 17 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am confused is it now free to unlock my O2 payg phone which I have had well over the 12 months as one page says it is and yet when I get my puk number and go to unlock it tells me its £15 and I dont have enough credit (I have just over £6).

Message 22 of 55

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We are told it is now free to unlock PAYG phones, but we don't know if this is for phones bought new now or if it applies retrospectively to all previously bought PAYG phones.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

We are waiting for confirmation on certain issues @AK04

On the previous page it states this...(from O2)

With immediate effect O2 have removed the following business rules from the usual unlatching process:

Consumer Pay Monthly customers:

• Customers on selected devices will no longer need to be on a Consumer Refresh tariff in order to unlock their device
  • Customers on selected devices will no longer need to have paid off their device plan in order to unlock their device

Consumer Pay As You Go customers:

• The £15 unlocking fee will be removed resulting in all future unlocking requests being free of charge
  • Customers will no longer need to have been with us for 12 months to unlock their device; they will be able to unlock their device at any point

So with all that above...it appears O2 need to play catch up on their own decisions!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 55

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

They really need to get the website sorted out. big changes like this should be updated overight and My O2 should be allowing unlocks to go through free now.

Message 25 of 55

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, I've received clarification on the points raised yesterday. Please see below. wink

Previously, selected devices would have been excluded from our unlock process. For example, the iPhone 8 and iPhone X. That is no longer the case – no matter what phone you have, even if it’s brand new you can now unlock it. 

For PAYG devices all can now be unlocked, regardless of the purchase date. If someone has previously paid for an unlock this will not be refunded but all future unlocks will be free of charge. 

@MI5 I hope this helps clarify things for your guide and please give me a shout when you're ready to update it. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 26 of 55

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Let me know when you've pressed the button and I'll do it immediately wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 55

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well that's good @Martin-O2

Still begs the question asked yesterday....Why lock them at all? A waste of resources really slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 55

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
It might be that future phones that o2 buys are not locked, but while they have stock of locked phones they need to do this...
I know, optimistic at best!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 29 of 55

AK04
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 17 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am still unclear, what does previously selected devices mean?  It is still asking me to pay £15, how do I get my phone unlocked for free?  

Message 30 of 55