Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG data charges in Spain

babyboomer49
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

When in Spain, almost as soon as I connected to the internet (I think the carrier was called Moviestar or similar) I got a message to say that I had used £1 worth of data but I wouldn't be charged any more up to 50 MB. The charge on the O2 website says data is 1p per MB, so 50p for 50 MB and I should not have been charged £1 up front. Also calls should be 3p per minute but I seem to have paid 30p. Is there more than 1 PAYG plan that I need to switch to?

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

You need to change your current tariff to the new classic PAYG to get those rates of 3p,2p,1p

if you can get onto live chat, they could do it for you when abroad or you can do it yourself in your MyO2 or wait until you get home. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @babyboomer49

I don't know why you are being charged unless you have gone over your allowances. You should be able to use your phone the same as if you are in the UK.  What tariff are you on with PAYG?

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad#2

*Making calls and sending texts within our Europe Zone (excluding the UK), to any other country in our *Europe Zone (including the UK).Receiving calls and texts in our Europe Zone.Using your data allowance whilst in our Europe Zone – subject to any data allowance limits.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/roaming-in-europe

If you ar concerned at the charges. then give customer services a call ...you can phone or use live chat.

From abroad+44 7860 980 202International rates†

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 17

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Classic PAYG I assume where you pay to use with no allowances?
All charges should be the same as at home but we do know that on that tariff £1 is taken up front and then refunded if the whole £1 isn’t used in each data session.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 17

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Either classic or a very old tariff. Maybe you would be better changing to one of the big bundles if you are staying abroad for up to a month. You can change tariff every 30 days so you can change back to classic but if a legacy tariff you cannot change back.

Check options in My O2. 

Message 4 of 17

babyboomer49
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That is what is confusing me. I am a very light user so don't have a bundle or allowance. As I am getting down on my PAYG credit, I was looking at the Three network 3 2 1 SIM. In their comparison table they showed 3p calls, 2p texts & 1p data. Alongside O2 it shows exactly the same prices. Looking at the O2 website, it says that the classic PAYG SIM is 3p 2p 1p, but is that only if you have a bundle that expires monthly? I want something that when I add £10, it stays there until I use it, which to me sounds like classic PAYG, so when my credit gets down near 0, do I need to swap my very old SIM for a new version or something like that, and then port the number across?

Message 5 of 17

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The classic PAYG just uses credit. No bundles or allowances so you just top up when needed.
What tariff are you on now?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 17

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 7 of 17

babyboomer49
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am not on a tariff, I have been on PAYG for many years.  According to the O2 Classic PAYG FAQ,

What’s the difference between Big Bundles and Classic Pay As You Go?

With Big Bundles you need to top up each month, and we exchange the credit for your chosen bundle of data, texts and minutes.

With Classic Pay As You Go you top up a minimum of £10 and pay for the minutes, texts and data you use. Calls are 3p a minute, texts are 2p, and data is 1p a MB. Once your credit runs out, just top up again.

So my PAYG SIM is somehow paying much more for calls & data than the O2 website says. The prices advertised are from August 2017 and I haven't topped up since then (very light user!), so I wonder if I topped up now, would the 'new charges' take effect, or do I need a new SIM, post August 2017?

Message 8 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@babyboomer49Are you still in Spain or back home? Either way it sounds as if you have exceeded your allowances as I said earlier...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 17

babyboomer49
  • 16 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
...and I think I have been on this tariff for 10 years at least. I have simply moved the SIM over when I changed my phone.
Message 10 of 17