cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Credit to expire after 6 months!!!!!

j14lls
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The web site says the Classic Pay as you Go credit will expire after 6 months and the number will be disconnected.  See    https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go

"If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number."  And a new deal, where you have to pay monthly, as Classic Pay as you Go has stopped.

This limit was 999 days a few months ago.  If this is true, I will be removing my number and those of my parents.  This is ridiculous for elderly people who need an emergency phone. 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
999 days has never been written anywhere officially. This information was given to us by a proper customer service agent who used to be on the forum.
We know what the website says and we have challenged it in the past. O2 have always confirmed that only the chargeable activity is required but have never changed the website wording.
Cynically, we reason that this is to "persuade" customers to top up regularly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
There is a glitch on the o2 website (not sure about the My o2 app) @j14lls
See message from o2 below:
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As-You-Go/Prepay-Credit-Expires/m-p/1273223#M13929

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 10

j14lls
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had a chat with O2 and this seems to be a different issue.  They seem to be addressing where the app shows expiry in 1 month.  He wouldn't confirm or deny this change from 999 days to 6 months.

Message 3 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Sorry for the mix up.
As far as the community are aware the chargeable activity in 6 months and top up every 999 days is still active - see link below.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As-You-Go/How-often-do-you-need-to-Top-up/m-p/1271798#M13886
If this has changed recently then it is a new thing.
I would raise one caution though - live chat are not the most reliable method of customer service, and are known to have said the wrong thing.
@Martin-O2 @Marjo can you confirm if @MI5's advice still stands?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 10

j14lls
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have flagged this with them.  It is on their web site and, if true, will be enough for me to change 3 phones to another network.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Only the chargeable activity is required every 6 months.
I've got one of these which was topped up 11 months ago and is still connected.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

j14lls
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have 3 that were all topped up more than 6 months ago.  All still working, at the moment.  I can only tell you what the web site says and that the agent refused to be drawn on the matter.  I can no longer find the 999 days on the site, it was there about 6 months ago, I think.

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
999 days has never been written anywhere officially. This information was given to us by a proper customer service agent who used to be on the forum.
We know what the website says and we have challenged it in the past. O2 have always confirmed that only the chargeable activity is required but have never changed the website wording.
Cynically, we reason that this is to "persuade" customers to top up regularly.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

uk
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm on Classic PAYG also, and have been looking at this.

I've downloaded the Android app a few days ago and it shows Credit Expiry on the 1st of January.

That could be referring to January 2020, as if I had been touched by a "blanket" expiry on 1/1/20 of all Classic PAYG customers who hadn't topped up for a long time, or it could be just a non-initialized field (screen fields not filled in sometimes default to 1/1).

My 999 days won't run out till later in 2020, but I will just in case top up on a date like 30/12/2019 (so a few months earlier), and see what the app will say. If the app will still say '1st of January' in the future I'll ignore that. If the app says something like 30/6/2020 I'll give myself 6 months to switch providers and leave O2 by mid-2020.

I could only be caught by surprise if the app still said '1st of January' after topping up but the credit ran out without warning on 30/6/2020, but I don't think that could happen, as if it did I'd phone O2 arguing that I read '1st of January' the second time around to mean 1/1/2021 so they have to restore it.

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@uk 

There is a known issue with date of credit expiry in the app which O2 have said they will fix with an update.

Your credit will not expire or be lost providided that you keep the sim active.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10