cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Classic cut off!! (without warning)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anybody recently been cut off even though used very recently? (no signal, sim unassigned, balance £0 etc.)

I managed to get it back and credit re-established after a couple of calls to C/S.

What gives?? 

Message 1 of 87
86 REPLIES 86

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38466 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1732 Solutions

@NK-001 wrote:

Are O2 cutting off classic pay as you go customers without rhyme or reason? Ornis this because these users did not make a chargeable call within 6 months (call not text). A person's phone number is precious, especially as it's needed to restore WhatsApp chats. O2 shouldn't cut off numbers without a warning 

Who knows what ulterior motive(s) O2 may have, or what tactics they are using, in this regard, @NK-001 ...

It could have been fat-fingered, but if you met the criteria and still have been cut-off, get on the Socials to O2 pronto - nobody here can help further - especially if your number is dear to you:

Message 81 of 87

NK-001
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you. I have not had this happen and am careful to make a chargeable call as described in the terms and conditions of classic pay as you go. But it looked like people on this forum were saying their numbers were disconnected without reason or warning. Although you are technically correct about the number being owned by the network, practically speaking there is so much you would be locked out of it your mobile number was no longer in service.

Think about all the OTP and 2-step verification issues that we would have. O2 should be more responsible with people's phone number as it can have devastating consequences.

Message 82 of 87

AnyNameLeft
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This also happened to me. 6 days after cut off, I have now been reconnected thanks to the team on X. I was advised by them to make a call every few months to prevent it happening again, so it may be that they are targeting accounts that fall below this and only reconnecting them if asked. Presumably if you comply with the written T&C, they have no choice but to do so - but it’s a massive faff. I now plan to make any calls where I don’t need the caller to recognise my number via O2.

Initially I was told that my balance at disconnection was about half of what it was actually was, but could evidence a recent Airtime Rewards top up (which could not have been touched if the phone “hadn’t been used for a while.”) My balance was then restored to the penny.

I had started to give my O2 number to some banks following recent network issues on my primary number with which I have a for life plan. It’s a miracle that it didn’t cause me any 2FA issues in the time taken to get this sorted. If you cannot get the 2FA code, the bank or whoever would immediately assume you were up to no good. Hopefully there will be more email backups for these in future - I have read of chaos following Apple’s decision to remove the physical sim slots from iPads, as users cannot receive a 2FA code on the eSim.

Ironically in my case I had actually used my O2 Classic sim more this year, as I bought a dual sim phone to replace a dying Samsung S9. Just not for calls. Prior to that it was in an old phone so no ad hoc data use that it has seen recently. I received a free data if you top up offer ONE DAY before they cut me off. 

Message 83 of 87

Oxonian
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 9312 Posts
  • 214 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

I do wonder @NK-001 whether some individuals make a call thinking it is chargeable - but it is not. Clearly, freephone numbers are not chargeable ; but what about calls to other O2 numbers ? And if you 'phone a mobile number, do you know what network the number that you have dialled is on ? 

I think that this is an area that can be confusing, with O2's enthusiasm in disconnecting Classic PAYG numbers exacerbating the issue. 👍 

Message 84 of 87

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149432 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions

@Oxonian wrote:

I do wonder @NK-001 whether some individuals make a call thinking it is chargeable - but it is not. Clearly, freephone numbers are not chargeable ; but what about calls to other O2 numbers ? And if you 'phone a mobile number, do you know what network the number that you have dialled is on ? 

I think that this is an area that can be confusing, with O2's enthusiasm in disconnecting Classic PAYG numbers exacerbating the issue. 👍 

This only has relevance to legacy tariffs where all calls are "chargeable" except freephone numbers.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 85 of 87

NK-001
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I would imagine a call to voicemail counts.

Message 86 of 87

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149432 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions

@NK-001 wrote:

I would imagine a call to voicemail counts.

I would expect so also.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 87 of 87