Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG Classic T's&C's for a low user

JohnH
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The T&C's for PAYG Classic are contradictory in regard to very low use of a number.

I have a second phone for emergency use for my wife (who doesn't like using a mobile) and have put a Classic SIM in it on the basis that no minimum top up is required, she just needs to make a call or text every six months to retain the credit & service. 

I have a separate pay monthly account with O2, so I chose O2 for my wife's PAYG phone because the following is stated at www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go#simtype=classicpayasyougo

What happens if I don’t use my phone for long periods?

If you don't carry out a chargeable activity at least once in any six month period your phone will be disconnected and you’ll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you’ll be given a new number.

The back of the leaflet that the new sim was attached to says the same, which is great.

However at https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go it says:

When you join Classic Pay As You Go, you pay for what you use, as you go. The minimum top up requirement is £10.

If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number.

Which is correct as they are contradictory? And how do you get in touch with O2 to gert them to change whichever alternative is incorrect?

I wanted to use the live chat service, but it still doesn't appear to be working either from my PC or my main smartphone.

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@JohnH You need to make a chargeable call or text once every 6 months and top up every 999 days. 

We have already reported the error a number of times. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@JohnH You need to make a chargeable call or text once every 6 months and top up every 999 days. 

We have already reported the error a number of times. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

b4u2
Level 8: Talented
  • 368 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
What is the answer?
Message 3 of 9

JohnH
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Many thanks for confirming that... that's what their publicity says, but you can understand my caution.
How do you contact O2 when the service they want you to use (the live chat service) isn't working, and appears to have been off line for some time?
Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@b4u2 wrote:
What is the answer?

What @MI5 stated @b4u2

The website is wrong. We queried this last week with admin and had the information that MI5 posted.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All forms of contact are here http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus or you can send a private message to admin for help such as @Martin-O2

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@JohnH wrote:
Many thanks for confirming that... that's what their publicity says, but you can understand my caution.
How do you contact O2 when the service they want you to use (the live chat service) isn't working, and appears to have been off line for some time?

@JohnH

Live chat has been particularly useless this last couple of weeks.

You would be better off calling the PAYG team on 4445 wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

b4u2
Level 8: Talented
  • 368 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
Will we get a text or email to warn us before we lose our credit and number?
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No I’m afraid not.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9