Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oneplus 6

Molly1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm looking to pre order the OnePlus 6. I recently went to my local O2 store, where the clerk advised me I could buy the handset unlocked, but I am struggling to see where I can do this online without buying a tariff and the Pay as you go phone. Do I need to go in store to buy just the handset, or is it possible for me to do this online?

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
You cannot purchase a handset without a tariff. If you want it outright then I suggest you buy the pay as you go version or go on o2 Refresh then pay off the device plan

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
You cannot purchase a handset without a tariff. If you want it outright then I suggest you buy the pay as you go version or go on o2 Refresh then pay off the device plan
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122377 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Molly1

More info here. Only available through O2 or One Plus currently https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/OnePlus-6-Pre-order-now-available/m-p/1125400#M25145

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There's no need to buy a tariff with the PAYG option.
You'll need to choose a theoretical PAYG bundle but you don't need to ever top it up if you just want to use your current or different sim card.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

Molly1
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks! So if I buy it on Pay as you go with a minimum £10 top up, I can use a non-O2 sim in it?

Message 5 of 12

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We've asked if they are unlocked and we expect they are, but just waiting for O2 to confirm.
You should be OK though if all other OnePlus' sold by O2 are any indication.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Now confirmed by o2 @Molly1

Phone is unlocked to any network slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

jackalek
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi.

I'm just about to commit to buy OnePlus 6, however, as we are aware the OnePlus website is NOT providing proper EU VAT invoices. I assume O2 will provide proper VAT invoice with VAT listed separately?

Also, it was stated the phone supplied by O2 will not be locked, but what about branding ? Will I be able to receive software updates directly from the OnePlus ? The last thing I need is to have a phone where you are waiting a year to get software updates approved by your operator.

Any info on this subject would be appreciated.

Regards

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122377 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @jackalek

With relation to Vat invoices you will get them as a business customer but this was the info provided to us by O2 regarding consumer contracts..

We don’t issue a VAT invoice on the device plans every month, the Refresh agreement is a credit agreement and unless it’s a business account we are not obliged to produce monthly VAT invoices. Customer services can complete a form to send out a device plan VAT invoice for a specific month but this needs to be requested by the customer each time they need it and will be sent via post.

A regular VAT invoice can be turned on by calling customer services for the airtime only, once the service is on the account the customer should then get the VAT invoice sent to them via post monthly.

As for updates, I'm not certain. They are usually sent to O2  for testing initially. They need to make sure they are compatible with the network

Though for clarification I will ask @Chris_K to confirm about the update situation.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

jackalek
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be paying one off sum, no need for credit agreement. I'm after proper UK VAT invoice, which I can't have form OnePlus, so I'm looking at O2 for this purchase. I assume they would be able to provide me with invoice for pay as you go phone purchase ?

Regarding the updates, if O2 has to approve updates then this would be a big no-no in my book, based on previous experience. Since I was burned in the past, I'm always buying phones directly from the phone makers, to bypass the carrier resistance to update the software. It costs me arm and leg but I would really like to avoid branded phone if at all possible.

Once again, thank you for swift response.

Regards

Message 10 of 12