Did you mean: 

O2 Classic Data Charge

Titanium
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Morning all,

I'm a bit confused about the data charges on O2 Classic.  It should be 1p per 1MB of data.  Yet it seems to be taking a lot more than that. 

I very rarely use data (or anything chargeable, hence the classic tarriff) but have started using the BP app when filling the car roughly every 6 weeks.  I noticed it seemed to use a lot last time so checked before and after this time.  I've got data saver switched on and everything restricted yet it still took 20p this morning.  I know the phones data usage probably isn't totally accurate but it's suggesting it only used 1MB, so should only be 1p?

Am I missing something here?  Is there a data connection charge or minimum usage?

Thanks

Tom

Screenshot_20190509-103249.png

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Titanium this is a common question.

Data is indeed 1p per mb but when you use some data, O2 "reserve" up to £1.00.

At the end of the day , if it hasn't been used, it is credited back to your account.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@Titanium this is a common question.

Data is indeed 1p per mb but when you use some data, O2 "reserve" up to £1.00.

At the end of the day , if it hasn't been used, it is credited back to your account.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Titanium
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 42 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5, you always seem to have the answer! smile  I did try searching but obviously not well enough lol.

So if I check the balance again tomorow I should get around 18-19p back.  Seems an odd system though, any idea why they do it like that?  I can understand why the BP app reserves some money on the payment card, so they know you've got the money before filling up, but I can't understand what use it is with PAYG credit.  Surely the data would just be stopped if I ran out of credit?

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144156 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I believe it's a legacy of the old web daily charge on PAYG which took £1 for even the slightest data use but allowed you then to use something like 50mb with no additional cost.
I have the same PAYG classic sim in one of my phones and the balance is up and down all the time to the point where I gave up trying to track it as it was too stressful, lol.
It always balances itself out in the end though.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4