Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data service

Exazet
Level 3: Thinker
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My wife and I are both on O2 PAYG and neither of us were able to connect to mobile data all day yesterday. This was on a 150+ mile journey so it's not just a single transmitter, account or phone (different makes, both Android 8.x). We both use mobile data periodically and it normall just works fine, so it's not a setup issue either. Checking this morning I find that it's still not working. Is something going on?

Voice calls connect OK, but all attempts to turn on mobile data result in a signal display that I believe indicates a failure:

Screenshot_no-data.png

The service type changes (E, H+, 4G) but always with the "x" in the lower corner of the signal indicator showing no connection. O2 don't seem to be reporting a problem, so what can I check at my end?

Apologies if this is an inappropriate place to ask this sort of question - please redirect me if so.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hmmm... My wife just passed on a suggestion she received: switch "Preferred Network Type" to 3G. That worked, but I don't understand why or how. Although both were previously set to 4G my phone was clearly trying HSPA+ and Edge which, unless I'm very much mistaken, are 3G technologies. Having successfully made a connection, it still works (on both phones) after switching the preference back to 4G. This seems very weird behaviour!

Working now anyway, and hopefully this posting might help out someone else if they stumble upon it while googling similar symptoms.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Exazet  have you tried restarting the phones?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 11

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yes, both restarted with no change.

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Are you both on the same tariff and which?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hmmm... My wife just passed on a suggestion she received: switch "Preferred Network Type" to 3G. That worked, but I don't understand why or how. Although both were previously set to 4G my phone was clearly trying HSPA+ and Edge which, unless I'm very much mistaken, are 3G technologies. Having successfully made a connection, it still works (on both phones) after switching the preference back to 4G. This seems very weird behaviour!

Working now anyway, and hopefully this posting might help out someone else if they stumble upon it while googling similar symptoms.

Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yeah that's weird but glad you've found it.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 8 of 11

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yes, both on the PAYG tariff.

Message 9 of 11

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I've been with O2 on the PAYG tariff for over a year, my wife joined from another provider a few months ago. We have both used O2 mobile data many times over the last few months and noticed no problems until yesterday, although our usage is sporadic (normally use WiFi) so I don't know when it would first have shown up.

Message 10 of 11