Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Classic activation or number swap - advice needed please

somebody
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi- I have various potential options I'd like to explore.

I have a couple of new unused unactivated Classic 3-2-1- payg sim cards.

I also have a phone with an already activated Classic payg sim card, with about £11 credit.

My wife currently has a Giffgaff sim and number, but is wanting to switch away from this, but ideally keep her number. Bearing in mind that the Classic tariff is "not available" anymore, I think she has the following potential options:-

1) Abandon her old phone number, and just tell people her new number is  xxxx and then use the already activated Classic sim with the £11 credit, with its existing number.

2) Try and port her current number to an unused Classic sim, activate and then top up with M/M £10. Would this work, or would the new activation onto Classic fail, as it's no longer available? If I port her number across and then find it won't allow the Classic tariff, then I've wasted my efforts.

3) Port her current phone number across onto the already activated Classic PAYG sim, and lose the £11.00. Would this activate as the Classic tariff?

Those are the options I see - can anyone comment on what is likely to work or not work? Thanks

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@somebody 

No new connections are allowed after Nov 29 2019 to the classic tariff so this option would fail, however, she can request her PAC from giffgaff and port her number to the already active sim. You will not lose the credit either.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@somebody 

No new connections are allowed after Nov 29 2019 to the classic tariff so this option would fail, however, she can request her PAC from giffgaff and port her number to the already active sim. You will not lose the credit either.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

somebody
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
So porting her number to the already active SIM will preserve both the tariff and the credit? Win - win, that'd be my perfect solution. Have others already done similar and confirmed success since November?
Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143452 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@somebody wrote:
So porting her number to the already active SIM will preserve both the tariff and the credit? Win - win, that'd be my perfect solution. Have others already done similar and confirmed success since November?

That is correct. The tariff and credit on the ported to SIM will not change. Only the number.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4