Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone isn't working in spain i can't call text or even ring o2

Josh_
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Cant call text or call o2 in spain ive tried everything all settings etc and nothing is working 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 125802 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7549 Solutions

@Josh_ 

Some things to try:

*  Make sure data roaming and mobile data is turned on in your phone's settings.

* Manually search for another network

* If you have an iPhone change your data APN to "mobile.o2.co.uk"

* Try toggling Airplane mode on/off (it often helps kickstart things)

* Drop down to 3G and see if that helps.

* Contact O2 to see if there are any roaming bars on the account

If you message O2 on Facebook ( https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter ( https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram ( https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this.

Or call 0800 032 1402 via Skype over Wifi.Guide: A Guide to Skype

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 9

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Any luck getting going with the advice above @Josh_?

Message 3 of 9

GHY
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, similar problem:

My wife and I are in Spain and cannot make calls or texts - data service is working fine.

Both Phones were working perfectly in the UK and both worked perfectly last year in France

There seem to be several people with the same issue and all get the list above - I haven't been able to find any responses which say that people had success with those steps, can anyone here help with this?

Data and roaming settings are correct

Phone will find other networks but will not connect - only connects to the one selected automatically - Moviestar 

Airplane mode on/off makes no difference

Moving to 3G made no difference.

Going through a labyrinthine IVR process got me through to O2 customers service who were able to send me a text and asked me to remove the SIM card and then replace it while they "refreshed" the SIM and then they would call me back. Made no difference and they never called back.

They did say there was no bar on my SIM.

Can anyone help?

Greg

Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 125802 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7549 Solutions

@GHY 

Have you got 4G calling active on your phone? Some countries (Like Italy) have turned off 3G and calls only work with 4G calling. I'm not sure if Spain has done the same but it would be the next thing to try.

O2 need to activate 4G calling and you can call them on this free number

From abroad+44 7860 980 202Free†

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

GHY
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for responding. The phone is set to use the highest protocol available - it will use 5g if present, then 4g, then 3g.

Both my Android phone and my wife's iphone are 5g capable and both are showing 5g connection. This is the strange thing to me - the internet is working fine, nice and fast, it's just calls and texts which are not working at all.

I can try calling O2 again I guess, using Skype, but it would be nice to spend my time being a tourist rather than working on tech issues! As this issue has been raised several times before I was hoping someone would have found a solution.

Cheers, happy to have ant more ideas. 

Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 125802 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7549 Solutions

@GHY 

I think as more countries turn off 3G we will get this question repeated often. Hopefully by then we can bypass calling O2 to activate 4g calling and just turn it on yourself in MyO2  http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

GHY
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I tried contacting O2 through Messenger and di succedd in getting a response - exchanging numerous messages across 7 weeks in Spain but ultimately without success. One two occasions they did fix the issue only to have it return overnight and no-one was able to replicate the fix. Following thier suggestion I raised a compaint - response within 7 days was indicated but nothing so far.

Message 8 of 9

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7828 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

I see you did not answer the question is 4G Calling enabled on your phones (it may beccalled VoLTE in your menu) It's not a question if you can get 4G or 5G, it is a different thing. Without 4G Calling the phone will drop to 3G to make or receive a call. It is that 3G which is being closed  down. Orange is still a safe bet as they still have a year to run before closure.

Here are my setting. You see one network calls it 4G Calling the other Volte. Whatever you get that slided has to be on 

If you don't see the slider then it is not switched on in your account

1000007670.jpg

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 9 of 9