Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My debit card is always declined when I try and top up

rjdg2k
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had my current pay as you go SIM card (bought on Amazon) since 2018, but have never been able to top it up because every time I enter my correct NatWest Visa debit details online, I get the message "Sorry, it’s not been possible to take your payment. Your phone has not been topped up. Please try again or use another card. If the problem continues you’ll need to contact your bank". I've also been unable to top my SIM card up using the automated 4444 service. I haven't had any issue using my card anywhere else, so why is this happening with O2?

Some stuff I've read suggests that I may have to do something additional if I'm topping it up with a card for the first time, so is this the case?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

rjdg2k
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't think it's just O2. Tesco Mobile's site says the same, and in fact makes it much clearer than what O2's website makes it. I had a feeling it was an issue at O2's end and not my bank's because it didn't say that my payment details were incorrect, and the NatWest payment verification screen cycled through normally, but rather O2 threw me to the message "Sorry, it has not been possible to take your payment" which suggests, from the wording, that my payment information was valid but there was something else blocking it from going through.

Do the top-up points at ATMs work via asking you to type in your phone's number (once you've inserted your card) and then they print out a receipt?

Message 11 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
The one's I've used print a voucher with a number on it which you have to enter by dialing 4444.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 14

rjdg2k
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for saying. So basically, I can go to an ATM, type in my card details, then select the top up option and enter my phone number (from which a receipt gets printed), then I can go home with that receipt and enter the number via 4444?

Message 13 of 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@rjdg2k 

Exactly that. It all seems very weird when the  sim card has been used before but even so, a voucher is the only way in this instance.

If you read my guide, in the first post, there are numerous ways to top up although the first one has to be via voucher.(O2 will deny this, however as regular customers of O2 for years, we know this to be the case)

You can also buy a voucher from any corner shop if it displays the top up logo.

Best of luck thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 14