cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Monthly contract to PAYG/rolling/?

sjw211
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 21 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've never had a PAYG/SIM only phone and have always had a monthly contract.

My wife's contract is coming to a close in the next few days.  It wasn't taken out direct with O2 so upon expiry will still cost the same per month (no device/line split).  She only uses a few GB a month and some calls and SMS too.  No picture SMSs.  Her phone is still fine.

So, apologies for such noob questions (and maybe some terminology)...

For SIM only deals, there seems to either be PAYG on a rolling monthly basis, PAYG on a 12/24m commitment (which strangely appear more expensive than rolling?) or one that appears to last until it has its credit used or is unused for 6m?  Is that correct?

I assume the rolling plan and 12/24 is simply pick the data you use (they seem to be unlimited calls and SMS) and you pay that amount each month - whether you have used your allowance or not.  There seems a mention of rollover too - but I assume you still pay the same but have more data available next month?  Is that correct?

How does the other option work where you 'top up'?  Do they come with an included data allowance but calls/SMS are charged - so a 10 min call would use around a fiver or so and be removed from the credit?  You top up using a debit card when needed etc.?  More intended for real casual/emergency use?

Hope this makes sense - thanks!  Are all the options possible from a monthly contract - keep the number etc.?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@sjw211 

PAYG plans are too limited in features and functions.

No 5g, no 4g and wifi calling, won't work in many countries abroad etc.

Go to a sim only deal.

Use USwitch
https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/o2/
Choose the deal you want
This will automatically redirect you to the O2 website
Just follow the prompts and choose the UPGRADE option
Complete the deal and nothing on your account changes except the tariff at the new cheaper cost
Payment date is the same and your next bill will be cat a cheaper rate and will be made up of the pro rata cost of your old tariff and your new tariff
The change should show in My O2 within 24 hours
Volt benefits will still apply as will possibly a 3 month extra such as Disney+

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@sjw211 

PAYG plans are too limited in features and functions.

No 5g, no 4g and wifi calling, won't work in many countries abroad etc.

Go to a sim only deal.

Use USwitch
https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/o2/
Choose the deal you want
This will automatically redirect you to the O2 website
Just follow the prompts and choose the UPGRADE option
Complete the deal and nothing on your account changes except the tariff at the new cheaper cost
Payment date is the same and your next bill will be cat a cheaper rate and will be made up of the pro rata cost of your old tariff and your new tariff
The change should show in My O2 within 24 hours
Volt benefits will still apply as will possibly a 3 month extra such as Disney+

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

sjw211
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 21 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.  I'll follow your advice and take the rolling SIM deal via Uswitch.  It's great it can be classed as an Upgrade and done on the O2 site.

It's frustrating the renewal/Upgrade Monthly price direct from O2 is so much more expensive than deals available from elsewhere.  Even a renewal direct with a 36month contract was more expensive per month than a better deal available from elsewhere (still on O2) on a 24m contract.  In fact, that's what I did a few days back for my son who has just taken a new contract in his own name and when it arrives tomorrow I'll be switching the number from my account (expires tomorrow) into his name and account on a new contract.  Unfortunately, I have to do it every two years for myself as the continuing monthly price doesn't reduce (no concept of handset and line rental split) so I take a new contract out and transfer the number across.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

You're welcome @sjw211 

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4