Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving PAYG sim to new (to me) phone

Stephen-g
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have had a very simple phone for a couple of years with an O2 PAYG sim on the classic scheme. I've now acquired a "hand-me-up" old iPhone SE that has passed through a couple of generations of my partners family. I thought I could take the full size sim out of my old phone and extract the appropriate smaller size and put it in the iPhone to make it work with the existing phone number.  The phone number shows up but I can't make or receive calls. I've turned off most of the cellular data features as I don't want to use that much, although it appears that data does work, it is just the phone functionality that doesn't work.

it is now about three days since I moved the SIM from the old phone. Any hints?  Or do I have to find an O2 store - there aren't any near where I live and it will mean a train journey if it comes to that. 

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Stephen-g 

Switchthe signal to 2g only in the network settings to check that.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Try going into

settings>>phone>>my number

Put your correct number in and then reboot the iphone @Stephen-g 

Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Stephen-g 

Do you know for sure that the phone is working?

Can you try another sim to see if calls work OK?

Data working with no calls or texts is usually a sign of a barred phone.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 13

Stephen-g
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Settings>Phone>my number shows the correct phone number. I’ve rebooted a couple of times but can try again.
Message 4 of 13

Stephen-g
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think the phone is working. It was fine for my partner before her daughter transferred her stuff to her latest hand-me-up and then factory reset it and it passed to me. I think data is working as I was able to turn off Wi-Fi and then enable data for a couple of apps which worked, and my balance was deducted indicating that some data was used. I haven’t got another sim to try. How would I get it unblocked if that is the case?

Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Stephen-g 

Check IMEI number here first to see if all is well with phone https://www.imei.info/

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

Stephen-g
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Checking the IMEI number doesn’t show anything that would seem to be a problem.

A big thank you to all the o2 community reading and answering questions over the holiday.
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Stephen-g 

I guess the next obvious thing to try is a new sim.

You can call O2 to request one rather than a journey to your local store.

Numbers here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 
Or advice from an O2 Guru regarding a way to get through:
When it comes to the reason you are calling stay silent for 15 seconds and you will be taken to the keypad options.
Press 2 for Everything Else
Press 5 for More Options
Press 7 for Anything Else which will put you though to someone.
Say "Upgrade", "Lost/Stolen" or "Fraud" if you have to, to get put through to someone.
8.00am is the best time to call if you can.

Christmas opening times here http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

Stephen-g
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks I'll give them a call tomorrow or next week and try to get a new sim on the existing number. 

Stephen

Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

You're welcome and fingers crossed for you @Stephen-g 

They may send a blank sim, in which case you'll need to do a sim swap if you can Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update or call them to transfer your account to it, but check when you call.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13