cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Broadband set up on a new Huawei 4g dongle - Help!

Horizon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all, I've bought a Huawei 4g dongle (not the wifi one) and am having no luck at all setting it up. It came in an o2 branded box with o2 instructons and everything says just follow the on screen instructions, but it's not happening. I've got a PAYG SIM for it, inserted correctly.

Laptop is a newish HP, running windows 10.

When I insert the dongle, a web page opens up - http://192.168.3.1 

This is a Huawei branded page, and looks like a Huawei admin page. Nothing at all is appearing for o2. 

Have I been sent a dongle that hasn't been flashed for o2 use? That's the way it seems to me. If anyone has any advice I'd be most grateful. Tried calling o2 but its out of service today??

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's not essential.
You can just login to the router directly.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 16

Horizon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I would be grateful if anyone else could comment.

As it stands, I have purchased, from o2, a 4g dongle with a 5GB pre loaded sim card. I have activated the SIM card on the o2 site and inserted it correctly into the dongle.

When I insert the dongle into the laptop, it just opens up 2 identical internet windows, which are http://192.168.3.1 This is the home page for the Huawei mobile broadband software (i presume). There's no mention of o2 connection manager anywhwere. 

In 'This PC' in Windows 10, the dongle appears as USB, drive: E, however when I try to open this, it just says insert a disc into usb drive (E). I am not able to open the drive to see if o2 connection manager is installed. If there are any other ways to open the device, please let me know.

Message 12 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Horizon wrote:

I would be grateful if anyone else could comment.

That's fine.

I'll leave you to it then.

But as it's not working as it should you need to try it on a different PC and if faulty, take it back.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

i can't help at all @Horizon.

I have two Huawei dongles which I bought from Amazon unlocked to any network. I use a Three sim in mine and there was absolutely no problem with set up and use. 

I have never experienced any of the problems you are having :smileysad:.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 16

Horizon
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Cleoriff, out of interest do you use any network provider software or just the Huawei software that came on the dongle?

Mine has just kicked into life (woo hoo) using the Huawei software. 4G connection working fine but burning through the data for no apparent reason but that's one for another day. As I've described above, the o2 connection manager software was not loaded nor is it available on the dongle as far as I can see. I gather this is useful software for receiving text messages and other account maintenance etc, which isn't possible on the Huawei branded software.

I do wonder if mine was supplied without being "flashed" by o2 (I gather this is the correct term?). o2 are hopeless at providing a downloadable version of connection manager anywhere. There are only guides online, and in any case there is nothing relating to the Huawei E3372 which is what o2 have sent me (I just ordered the Huawei 4G dongle from the o2 shop, didn't know the model till it arrived).

So... I would like the o2 connection manager software, but I've no idea how it would interract with the Huawei connection software which appears to now be working ok.  I could do with talking to an o2 guru!

Message 15 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@HorizonI didn't do anything with the dongle. Bought it...popped a Three PAYG (Internet with Legs) sim in...my PC autoconnected to the Three site and away I went.

The Dongle and Sim were both bought off Amazon.

(I was away from home last year for a while. Still in the UK but the WiFi was poor, hence the need for the dongle)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 16