cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Broadband set up on a new Huawei 4g dongle - Help!

Horizon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all, I've bought a Huawei 4g dongle (not the wifi one) and am having no luck at all setting it up. It came in an o2 branded box with o2 instructons and everything says just follow the on screen instructions, but it's not happening. I've got a PAYG SIM for it, inserted correctly.

Laptop is a newish HP, running windows 10.

When I insert the dongle, a web page opens up - http://192.168.3.1 

This is a Huawei branded page, and looks like a Huawei admin page. Nothing at all is appearing for o2. 

Have I been sent a dongle that hasn't been flashed for o2 use? That's the way it seems to me. If anyone has any advice I'd be most grateful. Tried calling o2 but its out of service today??

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Login on that screen you get with Admin/Admin for username/password and check the apn is correct for o2..
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Connecting-Android-Phone-to-Data-Serv...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Horizon
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Should it even go to that screen though?? Everywhere I've looked says o2 connection manager should just load up.

There's nowhere to log in on the Huawei page.

Message 3 of 16

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You nee to install O2 connection manager first if you want to use that. It should launch an installer when you insert the dongle, but if not, see help here.
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/setting-up-mobile-broadband
http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Bus...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 16

Horizon
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, yes I've seen that link thanks. It's well out of date, refers to old operating systems and in any case there are no links to download the latest version of connection manager.

Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
So there's no software to run when you look at the dongle in file explorer?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Horizon

Where did you buy the dongle from?

Message 7 of 16

Horizon
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Bought directly from o2.

In windows 10 it appears as a usb drive (e) but the drive won't open.
Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Have you tried rebooting your laptop?

Currently using:
Message 9 of 16

Horizon
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, several times. Although it sounds like I'm totally IT iliterate, I'm usually OK with these sorts of things but this has got me tearing my hair out.

Do you have to use o2's connection manager software, as all of the o2 blurb says that you must, but now I'm wondering if it's essential or not. Either way, I'd appreciate some help. Am I best off just keep trying to call o2 customer services when they're open?

Message 10 of 16