cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Living abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I’ve just changed from a pay monthly account to PAYG as I am going to live abroad and wanted to keep my number. Although I will only use the phone when I’m back in the UK, I was told that I had to make at least one call every three months to keep my number.

What I didn’t realise until I arrived here in the Philippines is that I cannot make any calls at all with an O2 PAYG sim. As I also need to receive texts on my number,

I’m wondering how can I keep my number if I cannot call out, does calling voicemail count as a call?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
I think you can txt aswel to keep it running I'm not sure tho wait for other comments aswel
Message 2 of 8

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Hi @Anonymous

In order to keep your sim active and retain your number you need to make a chargeable call or text every 6 months and top up every 999 days. Calling voicemail doesn't count as a chargeable call

Hope the above helps and you enjoy living in the Philippines.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 3 of 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

Looking at the information for Phillipines I am not sure you can use your phone there.

The costs are unavailable which (I think) means you cannot use any network.

intl phil.JPG

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous  Probably be better to use a local sim as there are plenty of mobile networks in the Phillipines, just nothing available for O2 PAYG customers

Having said that, the rule for keeping your sim active still applies wherever you are in the world

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The only thing I can think of for you to keep your sim active is to have a live chat every 6 months and explain that you don't have any network coverage and ask them if they can keep your sim card active.
Live chat on link http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many thanks for your replies.

having done some more investigation, I’ve found that only Three have a roaming agreement with the Philippines, so, unfortunately I’m going to have to port my number to them.

its a pity, as I’ve been with o2 since Cellnet first started.

Thanks again

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous
You might have some issues porting number outside UK.
“On the day of the switch

You'll need to be in the UK when your number switches.”

Unless you’re planning to this when here.
Cheers
Message 8 of 8