Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping my number from shutting down

Mint1955
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a pay as you go basic sim and don’t use it much but I really do need to keep this number active.

is there a time limit in which I have to top up to keep it active or before it gets automatically stopped etc

Message 1 of 30
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Mint1955The correct answer was given by our community manager @Marjo who had it confirmed yesterday

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-As-You-Go/Keeping-my-number-from-shutting-down/m-p/1180533/highlig...

Hi guys,

Just double checked this - according to our PAYG team, to keep the number active:

• Account needs to be topped up at least every 999 days
  • At least once every 6 months customer needs to make a chargeable call or send a chargeable message

It's annoying and confusing that the website is showing wrong information. We have asked for it to be changed. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 27 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Kersy28
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hey @Mint1955, I just found this detail on o2, hope it helps! slight_smile

When you join Classic Pay As You Go, you pay for what you use, as you go. The minimum top up requirement is £10.

If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number.
Message 2 of 30

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
You will need to make a chargeable action (send a message or make a call) once every 6 months.
You will also need to top up at least every 999 days.
As long as you do those you will keep the number active.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 30

Mint1955
  • 9 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Two different answers! I could make a text or call every six months and up to now have topped up since I went basic sim only but worried now which I should be doing as I really don’t want to lose this number.

Message 4 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Mint1955

This is the official information for the Classic PAYG

"If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number."

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go

Hope this helps wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 30

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Forget the official advice as it's wrong!
There is no need to top up every 6 months as long as you have made a call or sent a text from your credit, the SIM will stay active.
I've got a 321 SIM in a phone that was last topped up in 2016 but I just text every 5 months and it's fine.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Forget the official advice as it's wrong!
There is no need to top up every 6 months as long as you have made a call or sent a text from your credit, the SIM will stay active.
I've got a 321 SIM in a phone that was last topped up in 2016 but I just text every 5 months and it's fine.

Oh hark at you!! You better go and get the official advice changed then!!

On second thoughts I'll get admin to check it out.

@Marjo@Martin-O2@EmilieT

Could you please check the correct procedure for keeping a PAYG sim active.

(For years we have said make a chargeable call or text every 6 months and top up every 999 days. ...now there appears to be difference of opinion as to whether it's one or the other or both)

Thanks.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 30

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I’m saying you don’t have to top up every 6 months, just make a chargeable call or text.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I’m saying you don’t have to top up every 6 months, just make a chargeable call or text.

I know what you are saying Rich and I'm saying it's damn confusing. I sourced that link this morning and thought 'Strange....but there you go'....

If the website is wrong it needs changing....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 30

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Agreed slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 30