Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping PAYG number active

loz15
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a PAYG sim and number, but only use it infrequently as I live abroad.  Nevertheless I need it eg for getting one-time passwords sent through from my bank (they will only accept a UK mobile phone number!).  

What do I need to do to keep it active, and avoid it being disconnected?  Is receiving text messages enough or I need to make calls/send texts? (Expensive to do from overseas, so dont want to do it if I dont need to!).  Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@loz15  It's always been my understanding that you must make a chargeable call or send a text once every six months and top up every 999 days to keep your number active. As O2 don't do the Classic Pay & Go tariff any longer, but still honour it if you have one, you might be best to call customer service just to confirm what I've said. As you are now abroad, you can call CS for free from any phone or use Skype on +44800 032 1402.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

loz15
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks Bambino.  I just called CS and you're spot on - you have to make a call every 6 months (although the CS agent recommended 5 months to be on the safe side).  Posting this in case others have the same question.

Message 3 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144205 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Lots of threads on here giving the information @loz15
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 6

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The big problem is that untrained advisers are making it up and giving out the wrong information. No wonder people are confused!

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144205 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Applies to many questions asked of CS these days.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6