Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find out SIM card's expiry date

NFH
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 45 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I got an O2 SIM card with an intention of porting my secondary mobile number to it and using it as a second line on a new iPhone in September 2019. I topped it up with £10 for half price at a newsagent using American Express Shop Small in December 2018. I then received £0.50 from O2 Rewards some time in March 2019.

I am aware that I need chargeable usage every 6 months to prevent the SIM card from expiring, or possibly a top-up would suffice (maybe even the 50p credit from O2 Rewards). To achieve this, I yesterday used less than one megabyte of data. The balance dropped from £10.50 to £10.30, and after I restarted the iPhone to end the data session, it went back up to £10.50.

Where do I see the SIM card's expiry date? I can't find this anywhere in the O2 app or while logged into the O2 web site.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@NFH Once activated sim cards do not "expire".

If you are looking for somewhere to tell you when the 6 months is ending, you won't find it anywhere.

You need to set yourself a reminder for 6 months from now to use more data, make a chargeable call or send a text. A top up is only required every 999 days.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@NFH Once activated sim cards do not "expire".

If you are looking for somewhere to tell you when the 6 months is ending, you won't find it anywhere.

You need to set yourself a reminder for 6 months from now to use more data, make a chargeable call or send a text. A top up is only required every 999 days.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

NFH
  • 45 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5, I indeed have a reminder to incur chargeable usage, which is why I did so yesterday. Given that this chargeable usage caused my balance to go down and it then went back up to its previous level, where do I see that the expiry date has been extended as a result of the chargeable usage?

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can't see it as it's not recorded anywhere.
I suppose customer service could tell you if you called but there is no where that is easily accessible directly by the customer.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

NFH
  • 45 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

In that case, where do I see my usage history in order to verify that a charge (possibly a fraction of a penny) was recorded?

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Also not possible on O2 PAYG, sorry.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

NFH
  • 45 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Also not possible on O2 PAYG, sorry.

It's possible on all networks to get access to one's usage history, because it's the network's legal obligation to supply such personal data under Article 15 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation). Furthermore, Recital 63 of the GDPR gives a best practice recommendation that “Where possible, the controller should be able to provide remote access to a secure system which would provide the data subject with direct access to his or her personal data”, which in this case would involve making the usage data available in a web interface and/or smartphone app.

It would cost O2 much less in admin costs to just comply with the best practice recommendation in Recital 63, as it does for postpaid customers.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can call and ask and you will be given the info, but not available on app or web.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8