Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does the 6 month rule work exactly?

namsupo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I know that if I don't use my phone for 6 months I'll lose my number on PAYG.

Just wondering exactly what usage counts to keep it alive. I've seen the term "chargeable call" but I hardly ever make phone calls and have no idea when the last actual call I made was.

Does using data count?

Does topping up count?

Basically I need to work out when the "6 month clock" started so I can set up a reminder to do something to keep it alive until I get back to the UK next.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

iancewers
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just had one of my o2 payg sim on the 321 tariff disconnected under the 6 month rule

I was using the sim for data only 1p per megabyte and had last used data less than 2 months back but had never made calls or sent text messages

when i called o2 to find out why i was told data does not count under the 6 month rule and that it had to be a call

I asked if a text message would count and was told only a call would count

O2 gave me very good service as they reconnected the sim and reinstated the credit and i then made a chargeable call

This is a bit of a problem if only a call counts as i use one of these sims in my car tracker which is not accessable for obvious reasons and it cannot make calls but just reports the vehicle position every 10 seconds using the 2g gprs network and consumes approx 50mb a month costing 50p

It can send an sms with vehicle position if i phone it and hang up so i will do this and hope the sms counts under the 6 month rule that sim has not been cut off yet and i hope the text works to keep it connected.

Message 11 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@iancewers 

It's a chargeable call or text.

These rules were in place before mobile data was invented so data use doesn't always trigger a usage on the system.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 13

iancewers
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 

Thank you for your help with this

Good to know that a text message will keep the sims active.

Message 13 of 13