cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I (Cheaply) Ensure My UK Phone Number Is Not Reassigned Whilst Living Abroad?

Perry2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all, 

I hope someone here might have the knowledge help me.

I am currently in the UK and have an o2 pay-as-you go sim card. I am about to spend an extended period in Singapore - perhaps for a year or more. However, I do not wish to lose my UK number, and would like to be able to use my sim card when back in the UK, such as when briefly visiting. 

I have heard conflicting information about how quickly my sim card will expire through inactivity and risk my phone number being reassigned to someone else. I have heard claims ranging from: I can keep my sim card active simply by making any chargeable transaction (e.g. a text) every 6 month, - to someone else saying that I must top-up my credit every 2 months.

So what's the truth here? I've looked and been unable to find any official written information about this. I'd like to avoid paying excessively whilst out of the country to keep my number.

Any help is greatly appreciated slight_smile

Thank you

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I don't think it can be dependent on making a call anyway, because if you have a PAYG SIM and pay for a bundle every month you might not ever make a call at all. Thus meaning you would lose your number through inactivity after 6 months for not making a chargeable call. 

Message 11 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

It's not solely making a call.

If you don't make a call you have to top up every 6 months.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes but the crux of the question is when the time limit of 6 months starts to countdown, that was the actual question. Imo it would be from the first day after last day of the last bundle you paid for, as you have paid in advance for one month (28, 29, 30, or 31 days) So in effect you are paying for a service on that last day.

Message 13 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

But then it would be 7 months since you "topped up"

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not necessarily, you could have topped up 3 months before that with enough to pay for 3 months bundles. 

You might not even top up for a year if you have enough credit. 

Message 15 of 16

Perry2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you very much again everyone, that was really helpful @Bambino @MI5 @Anonymous 😊 

Message 16 of 16