cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I (Cheaply) Ensure My UK Phone Number Is Not Reassigned Whilst Living Abroad?

Perry2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all, 

I hope someone here might have the knowledge help me.

I am currently in the UK and have an o2 pay-as-you go sim card. I am about to spend an extended period in Singapore - perhaps for a year or more. However, I do not wish to lose my UK number, and would like to be able to use my sim card when back in the UK, such as when briefly visiting. 

I have heard conflicting information about how quickly my sim card will expire through inactivity and risk my phone number being reassigned to someone else. I have heard claims ranging from: I can keep my sim card active simply by making any chargeable transaction (e.g. a text) every 6 month, - to someone else saying that I must top-up my credit every 2 months.

So what's the truth here? I've looked and been unable to find any official written information about this. I'd like to avoid paying excessively whilst out of the country to keep my number.

Any help is greatly appreciated slight_smile

Thank you

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Perry2 

A chargeable CALL once every 6 months.

If you have a bundle, this will mean you will have to top up to make a call, if on classic, you can make the call from your credit.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Perry2 

A chargeable CALL once every 6 months.

If you have a bundle, this will mean you will have to top up to make a call, if on classic, you can make the call from your credit.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 16

Perry2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you very much for your guidance MI5, I really appreciate it slight_smile

Do you know if this is declared in writing somewhere - for example a terms and conditions web page? Or this is just something you remember from past experience? Regardless, thank you either way.

Perry

Message 3 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Perry2 

The O2 T&C's don't take into account the different types of tariffs so can be confusing.

The advice I gave you is my own from experience and is in no way official O2 advice.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Perry2 From the link I posted above:

7. Our Rights to Bar or Disconnect Your Mobile Phone

• 7.1. If you do not carry out any chargeable activity at least once in any 6 month period your Mobile Phone will be disconnected and you will lose any remaining credits balance on your Account. If you wish to be re-connected after this time you will be given a new Mobile Phone number

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

A chargeable call? 

If you are on a PAYG bundle and never make a call/text or use data that is not included in your bundle, do you actually ever make a chargeable call? 🤔... 

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

A chargeable call? 

If you are on a PAYG bundle and never make a call/text or use data that is not included in your bundle, do you actually ever make a chargeable call? 🤔... 

You have to top up if on a bundle to make a call so you've been "charged" for making it.

Hence my comment about T&C's not being tariff specific and therefore, confusing.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well this is true, as I never make any chargeable calls outside my bundle. So another point of interest is: Does the 6 months start from the time you purchased the last bundle, or when you made your last call/text/data, or the expiry of the bundle (As every day of the bundle is chargeable in an increment as you pay the same if you use nothing at all)   

Message 9 of 16

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Texts and data no longer count. It has to be a call.

I guess if you topped up and didn't make a call, it would be 6 months from the top up date.

If you made a call in that month, it would be 6 months from the date of the call, although obviously you would need to top up again anyway to make a call in 6 months time.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 16