cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two phones, a Motorola Moto G 3 and a Motorola G5. I use Big Bundle data tariffs for both.

When I try to use the G5 as a hotspot, it connects perfectly to other devices and I can browse without a problem. 

When I try to do the same with my G3, it appears to connect as my devices can see it but when I try to browse, I get a message saying that I am not connected to the internet. The only difference that I can see is that the G5 connects to the 5Ghz band but the G3 connects to the 2.4 Ghz band and there is no option to change it as far as I can see.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can solve this?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Yep agree on that one.

needs to be much clearer hope Marjo can check tomorrow. 

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 21 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I'm still no further forward. I've tried the SIMs on my old Samsung Galaxy S111 mini without success. As a previous poster suggested, it might be because it's an old phone but a Motorola Moto g3 isn't what I'd call an old phone.

Message 22 of 26

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Sorry to hear it's still not working for you @Anonymous 😞

Thanks for the tag guys, I'll ask for some clarification and will post back when I get a response. thumbsup

Message 23 of 26

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Anonymous But depending on what firmware it has,  the phone could be made today but have software that’s 2-3 years old.

o2 didn’t use to support hotspot on any PAYG device.  It’s only been recently that it’s now lifted the ban,  of your phone is running on a old firmware then this will prob be the issue I’m afraid.

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 24 of 26

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, so just checked regarding the hotspot functionality and it is indeed supported also for Android on PAYG.

Message 25 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Thanks Marjo.
Back to a faulty or outdated phone then!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 26