cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspot issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two phones, a Motorola Moto G 3 and a Motorola G5. I use Big Bundle data tariffs for both.

When I try to use the G5 as a hotspot, it connects perfectly to other devices and I can browse without a problem. 

When I try to do the same with my G3, it appears to connect as my devices can see it but when I try to browse, I get a message saying that I am not connected to the internet. The only difference that I can see is that the G5 connects to the 5Ghz band but the G3 connects to the 2.4 Ghz band and there is no option to change it as far as I can see.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can solve this?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that hasn't worked either so I think that all I can do is take it up with Motorola. Thanks for your time and trouble.

Message 11 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I can only assume the phone is faulty.
Let us know how you get on please.
Out of interest, what apn settings do you have and are they the same on both phones?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

APN settings are o2 Pay and Go on both.

Just wondering if restoring to factory settings might do it. A bit drastic but other than returning the phone for repair, it's all I can think of.

Message 13 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousI would contact Motorola before you send your phones anywhere motorola support

If the phones go for repair they will be restored to factory settings anyway. So best to see if you can get further advice from the manufacturers

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 26

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I meant the actual content of the apn, not the name of it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 26

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous just wanted to check how you're doing with the hotspot/Motorola issue and if you've had any progress since you last posted? slight_smile

Message 16 of 26

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Anonymous

This may sound like a daft one,  but o2 do not fully advertise that it will work on Android on PAYG. 

The info below is from there own website advising iPhone and windows on PAYG and Android and IPhone on Contract.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/digital-services/personal-hotspot

If you’re a Pay As You Go customer, you can now tether up to five devices on your iPhone if you have:

• an iPhone 5 or newer
  • iOS 10.1 or newer - to update your iOS software, go to Settings, then tap General, Software update to check if any update is available
  • your carrier setting as version O2 26.1 – to update your carrier settings, you need to go to Settings, then tap General, About and, if available, a pop up should appear to change the carrier setting.

On Windows Phone, you need to go to Settings, then tap Internet sharing, Share over, and Wifi. Then make sure Sharing is set to On.

@Marjo Could this be clarified and either the o2 site updated or the forum as it’s really confusing this.

Thanks

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 17 of 26

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
As I said earlier, I wasn't sure about Android. I knew about iPhone and Windows but Android is still unclear apart from the OP using it on their G5?

Currently using:
Message 18 of 26

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

I think it’s hit and miss and depending on the firmware of the phone.

older Android phones won’t be getting updates therefore may be blocked some how using hotspot correctly. I know it’s only been recently it’s been updates for other phones as PAYG never used to allow it.

Contract have always allowed it which is why it works ok

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 19 of 26

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The question that needs answering is "Does O2 support tethering on Android with PAYG?"
I guess it matters not if some work as it may be a fluke or glitch. It's whether it's intentional or not that matters.
Contract isn't relevant in this case as both phones are PAYG.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 26