cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Classic Pay As You Go Sim been withdrawn?

MegB36
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Tried to buy a new Classic PAYG sim this afternoon and was told in the o2 shop that it is no longer available and the alternative is the BigBundle sim which seems to be significantly more expensive. I can't see anything about the withdrawal of the Classic PAYG sim on the website.  Would appreciate it if anyone can advise whether this is really the case?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

So these SIMs have not been withdrawn, however they are no longer available from the O2 stores. They are still available across all other channels as normal including the online page where you can order the free Classic SIM.

That's good news for those who prefer this option ok_hand

Message 11 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I wonder what prompted the decision to withdraw them from the stores?

For some people this was a far easier option.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Not enough profit in them...... £10 every 6 months don't exactly fill the coffers.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 18

Devs
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all.

I trying to set up a SIM for my Nan's mobile phone - it'll be for emergnecy and very occasional use only.

I understand that one of 02's deals - either 'Classic' or 'Simply' PAYG - will allow her what she's after, which is to top up with an amount (£10 or £20) and then be able to use this as required over the year or more until it's used up (and/or re-topped).

I've ploughed through numerous pages of T&Cs but haven't been able to find the actual specific confirmation of this (most of the useful info I've gleaned has been from 3rd-party sites such as MoneySavingExpert and the like), so still have a few Qs which I'd really appreciate if folk could answer for us.

1) Do both 'Classic' and 'Simply' PAYGs allow the unused top-up sum to continue being used month after month until depleted and/or topped-up? (I do understand that it may require the occasional use of the phone to keep it active).

2) If the credited sum is used up before it's re-topped, does the phone connection 'stop' or does it continue to be usable exept charged at a greater rate until re-topped?

3) What are the pros and cons of the two PAYG contracts?

Many thanks 🙂

Message 14 of 18

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You can now only get the classic 321 sim in the format you are looking for.
Top up money lasts until it is used up and a chargeable call needs to be made every 6 months to keep the sim active (top up required every 999 days).
If the credit is used up you cannot make calls until topped up (but you can use the lend us a quid service as a temp measure), but calls can still be received.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 18

Devs
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you - a perfect answer from a 'supreme' being 🙂

Really appreciated.

Message 16 of 18

MI5
  • 143406 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You're welcome mate slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 17 of 18

hellpark
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Classic PAYG withdrawn for new customers as of November 2019

Existing Classic PAYG customers can continue to use the plan but now must top up their credit at least once every 6 months or lose their number and will not be able to rejoin  Classic PAYG

Message 18 of 18