Did you mean: 

Finding out phone number for SIM

PP_BUS_G3H
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I'm trying to find out what the number is for my O2 sim that I have.

I tried messaging "NUMBER" to 2020, but unfortunately it doesn't work. It just gets stuck on "Sending..." and then fails to send the message.

The SIM is connected to O2 UK and its status is "In Service", so it should be working.

I've read that you can get the number from Live Chat if you give them the SIM's serial number. However, I cannot find the Live Chat link. I really don't want to have to call, I'd rather just use Live Chat.

Does anyone have a link to the proper Live Chat team that can check the number for me?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@PP_BUS_G3H, this has the info you need before waiting for support:

Guide: How do I find my own mobile number?

URL for Chat here: https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Or hang around the "Buy a phone" page and wait for the offer of chat to appear. 

Good luck! 

Message 2 of 10

PP_BUS_G3H
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I went to that contact us page before, but it doesn't show any option for Live Chat.

Do you just keep refreshing the page until it appears or something?
Message 3 of 10

pgn
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

It's all been a bit haphazard since March - I browse the shop, it usually prompts a pop-up after a while. 

The Shower-head icon on the Contactus page also sometimes takes you there. 

Screenshot_20200929-150421.jpg

I will usually get them via Social Media in Twitter (FB works too if you use it) - it can be quicker. 

Message 4 of 10

PP_BUS_G3H
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have a Twitter. Can they check a SIM's phone number if I give them the serial number?

I did get access to Live Chat earlier, but they were apparently the Pay Monthly team and couldn't help me. They kept telling me to call the PAYG team.

I don't mind using Twitter or Facebook if they can help out.
Message 5 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@PP_BUS_G3H 

Can you not just dial another mobile and look at the number displayed on that screen?

Unless of course the sim hasn't been activated by topping up first Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 10

PP_BUS_G3H
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Looks like I can't do it through Live Chat. I just get put through to some Pay Monthly team that cannot help me.

Message 7 of 10

pgn
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
If it comes up "in service" , but has no credit to make a call, I wonder if it will let you text the word NUMBER to 2020 – it's free to send, worth a try. (Not tried to send an SMS from a zero-balance Sim...)
Message 8 of 10

PP_BUS_G3H
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It says "In Service" for the Service Status, has 4-5 bars signal strength and correctly says "O2 UK". The 2020 number just doesn't work. This SIM has never been topped up and has just been sitting in my phone for a few months. It's a dual-SIM phone.

It worked when I did via Giffgaff that wasn't topped up, but it just doesn't via the O2 SIM. I am guessing that's because the O2 SIM has never been topped since I put it in.

It's a shame the PAYG team do not have a Live Chat service right now. It would've been an easy fix.
Message 9 of 10

pgn
  • 35207 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

The O2 Shops are, for the most part, open again now - maybe they can get through to a more PAYG-oriented resource in O2 Support?  Can't think of anything else, assuming the card the SIM came in is long gone...

Message 10 of 10