Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few questions about mobile broadband

Horizon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Struggling to find the answers on the website so thought I'd post here.

I'm looking at getting a 4G dongle for a family member. I see that when you buy you can pick which package you want, and I like the look of the 5GB with a 90 day limit, but I can't find any info about subsequent top ups. Once the initial data is used up (or the 90 days is passed), are you then able to purchase a top up for another 90 days, or are you then limited to buying top ups that only last one month?

Also o2 seem to offer their own branded dongle, and the Huawei one. I just need the 4G access, no need for wifi hotspot. There's not many reviews on these dongles. Does anyone have any recent experience of them? It's the Huawei 4G one I'm leaning towards. 

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I have the Huawei 4g dongle which can be used for both direct access and a WiFi hotspot.
Mine is on a straight PAYG where I just top up as required but when you go to top up you can choose which package you want so can stay on the 90 day or change each time.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I have the Huawei 4g dongle which can be used for both direct access and a WiFi hotspot.
Mine is on a straight PAYG where I just top up as required but when you go to top up you can choose which package you want so can stay on the 90 day or change each time.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Horizon
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for the reply. Is it a user friendly bit of kit?  If the dongle is plugged in then will it automatically connect to mobile broadband, or is it case of having to log in each time etc?

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes it's very easy to use.
The first time you plug into your laptop you have to type in the password so the computer will connect to it (password is in the packaging) then after that, it will auto connect each time you plug it in.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4