Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 28 - I Can't Text Several Contacts

Kyla
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Friday night I ran into an error when attempting to text one of my contacts. I tried several times but each time I got a message saying "Error 28." When I had another look I realised my dual sim phone was trying to use Sim 2, despite being the secondary sim. However, changing over so that Sim 1 was being used didn't fix the problem.

After cleaning the sim, restarting the phone, clearing cache, and finally deleting the old message history, I finally got the phone to send the text. Unfortunately...it didn't exactly solve the problem itself. Last night I was meant to send a text to a friend saying I'd gotten home okay, and the same error occured. This time deleting the old message history didn't work, so I'm not certain that it was actually what "fixed" the error last time.

On the other hand it isn't happening with all of my contacts. At least, not yet. I did do a google of the problem but I can't find very much on it. 

Edit: I've tried deleting and readding contacts too. Doesn't work.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If it's just o e contact they may have accidentally blocked you.
Message them on WhatsApp if you can and get them to check.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Kyla
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It's more than one contact.

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I'm assuming you have credit or remaining texts in your bundle?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Kyla
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I do only have credit on Sim 1, so the error could have been happening because my phone kept trying to use Sim 2 despite the settings being otherwise - I've reconfigured that now, so it's back to using Sim 1 by default.

The error didn't fix if I tried switching over after the error had occured, but a fresh attempt with SIm 1 selected seems to fix the problem. I'll have to get some credit on Sim 2 next pay check and see if the error still occurs, so that if my phone tries to use the wrong sim again it isn't such a problem.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
So your default sms sim setting is not sticking?
What phone is it?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Kyla
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have a Motorola G4 Plus. The settings have been fine up until now, but that's what appears to have happened. Working fine again now.
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Might be with a soft reset if it happens again.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Kyla
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Update: It's happening again, sporadically, and this time the sim settings are fine. Dang.

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143435 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Try a new SIM? Just in case....

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10