Did you mean: 

E Top- up Card

ryansmyth1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there,

Recently started using o2 PAYG in a spare phone. 

I have an o2 E-Top Up Card that my mum found lying around the house and she said that I can use this?

Now, yes I do know that I can use debit card or buy a voucher, but how does this e-card thing work.

From what I’ve read online, it says to dial 284 and enter the card number and the credit that I load to the card then transfers to the handset. However, ringing 284 doesn’t connect to anywhere, so I am confused.

Just curious to know how this works.

Regards,

Ryan 

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124030 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

@pgn 

My guide you allude to above ( Guide How to Top Up (PAYG)) STILL has info re the E-Cards. ie

*E-Top Up cards (If you still have one you can continue to use it although they have been phased out from O2 stores.

If you have an E-Top Up card, simply:

• Call 248 free from your mobile
  • Enter the 19-digit number on the back of the card
  • Enter the 5-digit PIN under the scratch panel on the back of the card

You'll then get a text confirming that the card has been registered successfully and the credit will be added to your account.

Once you've activated an E-Top Up card, you can use the card to top up your mobile anywhere you see the E-Top Up logo.

On the Top up guide from O2, the e-card is still included (although the info is different from my guide)

https://www.o2.co.uk/topup 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37161 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions

The long-since discontinued E-top up card used to be sent out with O2 PAYG phone purchase, and was tied to a particular O2 phone number, @ryansmyth1 - they dropped out of use some years ago, as O2 became the only place to obtain one, and were superceded by these ways to top up: Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

The only value it has now is whatever the likes of eBay can get you for it as a collectible.

It was linked to the phone number by dialling a code, something like

*148*19 digit number#SEND

and you could add up to £50 onto it at a Pay Point (newsagent or corner shop or similar, wherever the green PayPoint logo was visible) for the phone to draw down over time.

1000020773.jpg

An image of one available from Alamy may even match the one you found in the back of a drawer. The last time I used a PayPoint outlet, I received a paper receipt slip with a code and instruction to dial 4444 to apply it to a PAYG number.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 124030 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

@pgn 

My guide you allude to above ( Guide How to Top Up (PAYG)) STILL has info re the E-Cards. ie

*E-Top Up cards (If you still have one you can continue to use it although they have been phased out from O2 stores.

If you have an E-Top Up card, simply:

• Call 248 free from your mobile
  • Enter the 19-digit number on the back of the card
  • Enter the 5-digit PIN under the scratch panel on the back of the card

You'll then get a text confirming that the card has been registered successfully and the credit will be added to your account.

Once you've activated an E-Top Up card, you can use the card to top up your mobile anywhere you see the E-Top Up logo.

On the Top up guide from O2, the e-card is still included (although the info is different from my guide)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37161 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions

I guess, as with the Classic PAYG tariff, there must still be a good few of the E-top up cards in circulation, then, @Cleoriff - the once common PayPoint logo is getting rarer to see around these parts - not sure if the retirement of the copper land-line voice cables will see the end of the PayPoint systems...? 

Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 124030 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

I guess, as with the Classic PAYG tariff, there must still be a good few of the E-top up cards in circulation, then, @Cleoriff - the once common PayPoint logo is getting rarer to see around these parts - not sure if the retirement of the copper land-line voice cables will see the end of the PayPoint systems...? 

Yes, when the guide was first written there was only Classic PAYG. It has been amended about 4 times since then. Not sure when O2 will stop people using the e cards. (Probably when they have 'hustled' those Classic stalwarts onto another tariff) 😂

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

koala321
  • 38 Posts
  • 8 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, just read this posting about O2 E-top up cards being discontinued. I'm always using my e -top up card to top up.

Why is this? What's wrong the E-top up card system? What's the alternative for Pay as You Go customers? Does that mean new Pay As You Go customers, if they don't want to use a credit or debit card, will have to ask for a printed voucher instead? And then type it in to the phone all the time by calling the top up line? Which is a pain and much slower than using a top up card.

What was the reason for this change?

@ryansmyth1 No wonder you can't link your card with your phone - you've entered the wrong number. It is 248 - not 284 as you put on your posting. 😅

Message 6 of 8

Oxonian
Level 31: Resolver
  • 7276 Posts
  • 139 Topics
  • 25 Solutions

@koala321 wrote:

What's the alternative for Pay as You Go customers?

@koala321 

That has already been answered in this thread :-

Topup | O2

Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

Message 7 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 124030 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

@koala321 wrote:

Hi, just read this posting about O2 E-top up cards being discontinued. I'm always using my e -top up card to top up.

Why is this? What's wrong the E-top up card system? What's the alternative for Pay as You Go customers? Does that mean new Pay As You Go customers, if they don't want to use a credit or debit card, will have to ask for a printed voucher instead? And then type it in to the phone all the time by calling the top up line? Which is a pain and much slower than using a top up card.

What was the reason for this change?

@ryansmyth1 No wonder you can't link your card with your phone - you've entered the wrong number. It is 248 - not 284 as you put on your posting. 😅

@koala321 

E-Cards haven't been discontinued. If you have one, you can carry on using it as before.

Very few O2 shops stock them nowadays though.

Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 8