Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double data promotion up to August 2019 for existing customers

bassplayer
Level 1: Joiner
  • 25 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Have any existing O2 PAYG customers here succeeded in obtaining the double data promotion for the £10, £20 and £30 tariffs?

Although targeted at new customers, the T&C’s state that this offer is also open to existing customers provided they are on the £10, £20 or £30 tarrifs but they must type “DOUBLE” to the 2424 text number.

I had a nightmare when I tried this. My account was due on the 11th of this month so I changed my £15 tariff to the £20 tariff so that on the 11th I’d be eligible for the double data promotion. However for some reason it changed my tariff immediately (so I had effectively lost 2 days of remaining data).

Despite this, I decided that seeing as it had already switched me over to the £20 tariff, I’d send “DOUBLE” to 2424. However the O2 text system sent me several identical texts telling me that entries for that offer were “now closed”! The O2 promotion clearly states that it is open until 28th August!

I then queried all this with the on line help. They admitted there seems to be a system problem but he had to reset my account to ensure my tariff switches as it should on 11th June. Apparently I need to send “DOUBLE” to 2424 again on the 11th June.

My suspicious nature tells me that O2 are making it deliberately hard for existing customers to get this promotional deal. Now that Three are offering a £20 unlimited data plan, it does seem as though O2 are being left behind. I’m losing my patience with them after being an O2 customer for several years anyway...

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

Hang on for help from @Martin-O2 @Marjo or @EmilieT 

They may not need screenshots but they can be posted in full view and full reply mode if needed.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 41

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35906 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1585 Solutions

Hi - help here on getting Screenshots added to your post, a picture paints a thousand words 👍

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Guide-how-to-upload-an-image-to-your-post/m-p/1219312/hig...

Hope someone can help put with the problem you are having, @bassplayer

Message 12 of 41

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Good morning @bassplayer, and sorry to hear about the recent difficulties you've had with your account and this promotion! I'd happily get someone on our end to look into it for you, I'll however need a few more details first so watch out for a Private Message shortly slight_smile 

Thanks for the mention @MI5, and the help as well @pgn!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 13 of 41

bassplayer
  • 25 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just an update on this. The O2 app, text balance and phone balance all still tell me I only have the 8Gb allowance (not the doubled 16Gb allowance as per the double promotion).

I have had some help from Emilie but since had a call from O2 support direct. It appears the O2 system is not set up well to cope with this kind of promotion and I have been reassured that once my 8Gb data is used up the other 8Gb will kick in. Hmm...

I was told that I’d receive a direct email link via text from the O2 support staff who contacted me by phone for re-assurance but so far that’s not been received. 

I can’t believe that a company as big as O2 can get so much wrong and have a system which can’t feed back accurate and reliable information to it’s customers. It doesn’t inspire confidence. 

Message 14 of 41

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
That's always how it works. Any bonus mins, data or texts are always "virtual" and never show on your balance.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 41

pgn
  • 35906 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1585 Solutions

I got a double data bolt-on that came along with my renewal in Jan, it *does* show on my MyO2, for info - clearly it is possible for these to be made visible (for contract anyway). 

Screenshot_20190612-170000__01.jpg

Message 16 of 41

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

I got a double data bolt-on that came along with my renewal in Jan, it *does* show on my MyO2, for info - clearly it is possible for these to be made visible (for contract anyway). 

Screenshot_20190612-170000__01.jpg

Yes, contract customers have bonus's added as a bolt on.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Where-is-my-discount-or-Extra-Data/bc-p/1075494

Currently using:
Message 17 of 41

bassplayer
  • 25 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Sorry, but have O2 completely lost the plot now with this? Just got these 4 texts within seconds of eachother!

BTW, everything is still showing I’ve only got 8Gb and I’m supposed to trust what O2 support have told me!

O2: Oops! Sorry. We got that wrong. You're opted in now. Renew your Big Bundle on 11/07/2019 and we'll double your data allowance to 4GB. Plus you'll get a huge 1000 minutes and 10,000 texts - all to use over 30 days. Renew your Big Data Bundle on time each month and you'll receive double bundles for the next 12 mths. To stop these
offers, call 2220

O2: Oops! Sorry. We got that wrong. You're opted in now. Start a £20 Big Bundle before August 28th and we'll double your data allowance to 16GB. Plus you'll get a huge 4,000 minutes and 10,000 texts - all to use over 30 days. Renew your Big Data Bundle on time each month and you'll receive double bundles for the next 12 mths. To stop these offers, call 2220

O2: Oops! Sorry. We got that wrong. You're opted in now. Renew your Big Bundle on 11/07/2019 and we'll super-size your data allowance to 16GB. Plus you'll get a huge 4,000 minutes and 10,000 texts - all to use over 30 days. Renew your Big Data Bundle on time each month and you'll receive double bundles for the next 12 mths. To stop these offers, call 2220

O2: Oops! Sorry. We got that wrong. You're opted in now. Renew your Big Bundle on 11/07/2019 and we'll super-size your data allowance to 40GB. Plus you'll get a huge 10,000 minutes and 10,000 texts - all to use over 30 days. Renew your Big Data Bundle on time each month and you'll receive double bundles for the next 12 mths. To stop these offers, call 2220
Message 18 of 41

bassplayer
  • 25 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
...and another later today. What does this all mean? Still on 8Gb data according to all my current customer information sources..

BTW, why are O2 sending texts saying you can renew something in the past? Have O2 got time travel privileges?

“O2: Sorry about that. We got our messages mixed up fixing the problem. Your tariff hasn't been changed and you've now been opted into the promotion. Renew your Big Bundle on 11/07/2019 and we'll super-size your data allowance to 16GB. Plus you'll get a huge 4,000 minutes and 10,000 texts - all to use over 30 days. Renew your Big Data Bundle on time each month and you'll receive double bundles for the next 12 mths. To stop these offers, call 2220”
Message 19 of 41

pgn
  • 35906 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1585 Solutions

@bassplayer wrote:
BTW, why are O2 sending texts saying you can renew something in the past? Have O2 got time travel privileges?

You'd wonder, given the way time operates on the Forum here between 11pm and midnight every night LOL   2 posts below, posted less than an hour apart... Don't knowScreenshot_20190518-234959__01.jpg

Sounds like an O2 SMS bot has got itself stuck in a loop - but I'd still be keen to know how it works out for you, whether you got 8, 16, 20 or 40GB on top of your current tariff data quota. 

Message 20 of 41