Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double data promotion up to August 2019 for existing customers

bassplayer
Level 1: Joiner
  • 25 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Have any existing O2 PAYG customers here succeeded in obtaining the double data promotion for the £10, £20 and £30 tariffs?

Although targeted at new customers, the T&C’s state that this offer is also open to existing customers provided they are on the £10, £20 or £30 tarrifs but they must type “DOUBLE” to the 2424 text number.

I had a nightmare when I tried this. My account was due on the 11th of this month so I changed my £15 tariff to the £20 tariff so that on the 11th I’d be eligible for the double data promotion. However for some reason it changed my tariff immediately (so I had effectively lost 2 days of remaining data).

Despite this, I decided that seeing as it had already switched me over to the £20 tariff, I’d send “DOUBLE” to 2424. However the O2 text system sent me several identical texts telling me that entries for that offer were “now closed”! The O2 promotion clearly states that it is open until 28th August!

I then queried all this with the on line help. They admitted there seems to be a system problem but he had to reset my account to ensure my tariff switches as it should on 11th June. Apparently I need to send “DOUBLE” to 2424 again on the 11th June.

My suspicious nature tells me that O2 are making it deliberately hard for existing customers to get this promotional deal. Now that Three are offering a £20 unlimited data plan, it does seem as though O2 are being left behind. I’m losing my patience with them after being an O2 customer for several years anyway...

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@bassplayer If it doesn’t work I’ll tag in our community team to see if they can help you 

@Martin-O2 @Marjo @EmilieT 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 41

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

I got a TRIPLE data deal when I renewed my contract in Jan, didn't read about the latest offer and existing  O2 PAYG customers - good catch, when it works!

Hope you get to use the offer on Tuesday after all the palaver! 

Message 3 of 41

bassplayer
  • 25 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@bassplayer If it doesn’t work I’ll tag in our community team to see if they can help you 

@Martin-O2 @Marjo @EmilieT 

Ok thanks. I’ll let you know after the 11th but I was wondering whether any existing customers here have succeeded in obtaining this promotional deal and why O2 don’t publicise this promotion with existing customers very openly? 

Message 4 of 41

bassplayer
  • 25 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
You couldn’t make this up.

I’ve just had £1 deducted from my account and got a text saying I’ve used my 50Mb allowance of data for the day. The phone help line said I had about 1Gb left in my old tariff last night but now the automated voice leaves a gap where the number of Mb is usually quoted.

Looking at the on-line web site and my app, it appears that I was put temporarily on the Simplicity No Allowance tariff until the switch to the £20 tariff tomorrow. I was supposed to be put back on the remainder of my £15 tariff so I can use what was left.

My patience is being tested to the limit now. Three beckons..
Message 5 of 41

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@bassplayer 

I'd suggest you call 4445 (not live chat) and get them to sort out your tariff and restore your allowances.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 41

bassplayer
  • 25 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
You suggested that before on my other thread but after wasting lots of time I couldn’t get through to a human. The on line chat seemed a marginal improvement...

Also, as my new tariff is due to start tomorrow I dare not confuse O2 any further in case that gets screwed up. I’ll just take the £1 hit I guess.

The other strange thing is that I’m still able to use data even though my imaginary 50Mb day allowance has apparently expired. Talk about a buggy system.
Message 7 of 41

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
8.00 - 8.30 am is the best time to call.
We don't recommend live chat for anything other than simple stuff as they often get it wrong, hence the emphasis on calling to resolve complex issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 41

bassplayer
  • 25 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Now they’ve stopped my data! So they aren’t letting me use the 1Gb I had left from the £15 tariff. Using my wife’s hotspot for this message.

Can’t wait to see what happens tomorrow!
Message 9 of 41

bassplayer
  • 25 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
It’s the 11th and the only good news is that I have my data is back despite losing it yesterday due to O2 incompetence .

I have 8Gb as initially expected. So I texted “DOUBLE” to 2424 as per the promotion and got a text back saying “O2: Sorry, entries for that offer are now closed. Keep a look out for future O2 Pay and Go promotions”. That’s the same message I got back several times when I tried 2 days ago when O2 changed me over to the £20 tariff earlier than they were supposed to.

My data is still 8Gb, so O2 have failed to deliver the “Double” promotion as promised in their T&C’s.

Seeing as I haven’t been able to get through to a human via phone support and the on-line chat messed things up, I’ll take up the above offer to get some support here.

I have screen shots but not sure if I can upload them here.

Message 10 of 41