cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does bolt-on charge get taken from existing balance?

dougienisbet
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi,

I do not have physical access to this phone. I cannot text from it.

My mother-in-law is in a care home. 200 miles away. She has an iPhone 6 on a PAYG tarrif. I have the number on my account and take care of top-ups. She had wifi at the home and was getting to grips with Facetime, such that she no longer made or received regular voice calls.

Due to re-structuring and Covid-19 she has been moved to another home in the same time. Her PAYG balance has fallen rapidly and she has run out. I've only just noticed, and realise that it's because in the new home she is not on wifi.

Her phone is setup with the Find Friends app enabled (or whatever it's called nowadays) and that will be taking a steady data drain.

Last night I put £30 on her account. The standard top-up (data 1p / MB). This morning it had gone down nearly £2. My guess is that this is the FindMy app. I think if it's going to go down this rapidly, and until the wifi at the home (if indeed, it has any) can be resolved, I need to get some data at a better price.

I bought the £10 'The Works' one-off bundle. Immediately the balance of the account dropped to £18.63.

As it's PAYG, I have no sight of any itemised bill.

So my questions:

1. Seems a co-incidence. Has the £10 been taken from the balance?

2. Has she, co-incidentally, used about £10 in the time I was adding the bolt-on?

There's no sign of the payments on my credit card bill. Either the £30 top-up I bought yesterday, or the £10 bolt-on this morning.

Thanks for any enlightenment

Dougie

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dougienisbet
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hi - it looks like the £10 is taken from the existing balance.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

KingAmo
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 287 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 30 Solutions
@dougienisbet

If your mum is on PAYG I will suggest you buy her a big bundle, £10 for unlimited calls and text and 3GB data, £15 for unlimited calls and text with 6GB data

If you don't have any bundle plans then when your data is switch on you will be charged directly from the amount you have in your account.
Message 2 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@dougienisbet Is there WiFi in her new facility? If so, you should ask the carers if they can help get her phone set up to get connected, and also to turn off the WiFi Assist on her phone.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 5

LukasB
  • 1791 Posts
  • 177 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

Hey @dougienisbet just checking on you. Did you get this issue sorted or do you still need assistance with this?

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 5

dougienisbet
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Hi - it looks like the £10 is taken from the existing balance.
Message 5 of 5