Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing credit

Topref
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have an old PAYG o2 sim card which I only top up when needed (which is rarely). I topped up on-line on the 24th of June 2021 with £20 and at the time, o2 had one of their regular one-month offers of doubling the credit for 30 days. I sent just 2 texts in this time and I had a voicemail from o2 a couple of days ago saying that my credit was zero. I rang my home number from it but it didn't connect but instead, the recorded message told me to top up. I can't get a contact number to query this so can someone help? Also, would the lack of credit affect whatsapp messages being received? Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Topref 

Yes it can.

Some phones will suppliment wifi with data use if the wifi signal is deemed to be inadequate or if the wifi connection is lost, it will use mobile data.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Topref 

You need to call 0344 8090222 from a landline or other mobile for customer services.

WhatsApp should still work on a wifi connection.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Topref
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Apparently, the £20 was used up in ONE MONTH even though for all that time, the phone's been inside my house and on WIFI and not relying on data.
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Did you have mobile data turned off on your phone @Topref ?

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Topref
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Probably not and if this was my mistake, cestlavie but for much of this time, the phone was switched off. Can I assume from your comment that if WIFI is present, data would still be used? Thanks
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Topref 

Yes it can.

Some phones will suppliment wifi with data use if the wifi signal is deemed to be inadequate or if the wifi connection is lost, it will use mobile data.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Topref
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Phone not taken out of the house and not always switched on either. WIFI always on in the house so I'm really disappointed that it's cost me £20. I'll learn from this and thank you for the sound advice. Needless to say, Mobile data now switched off.
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Good luck

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8