Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data roaming didn't work abroad as it was switched off when I left UK

Tafia
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I changed my O2 tariff to give me 2GB of data for a trip abroad. When I turned on the data in Norway I saw the message: 'You have lost access to data abroad because you didn't have data roaming turned on when you left UK' or similiar wording.

Why are we not made aware of this? I don't normally use data roaming in UK but needed it when abroad.

Surely we should have data roaming available when needed. We have paid for it after all.

So there I was a lon gway form home with no access for data roaming.

Anyone else had this problem?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

That sounds more like it's not enabled on your account rather than the phone. You can switch roaming on the phone at anytime so give customer service a call on 4445 to get it enabled on your account.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi @Tafia, and welcome to the forum slight_smile Did you get a chance to check your account settings with Customer Service yet? 

Hope you had a great time in Norway snowflake

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 15

Tafia
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry for late reply folks.

Roaming works in  UK but I don't normally have it switched  on here. Customer Services told me I could use my phone in Europe as if I was in UK which is why data roaming wasn't switched on when I left UK as I assumed I could turn it on in Norway and it would work as if I was in UK.

Cheers

T

Message 4 of 15

Tafia
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Seems this is a common problem according to postings elsewhere on the internet. Happens with other providers too.

T

Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Tafia wrote:

Sorry for late reply folks.

Roaming works in  UK but I don't normally have it switched  on here. Customer Services told me I could use my phone in Europe as if I was in UK which is why data roaming wasn't switched on when I left UK as I assumed I could turn it on in Norway and it would work as if I was in UK.

Cheers

T

Yes you can turn it on when abroad and it will work if enabled on your account.

You can also leave it on whilst in UK without any problems.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 15

Tafia
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well. I have just spoken with Customer Services who tell me they have never heard of this issue before and I should be able to just switch on Data Roaming when abroad and it will work as if I was in UK. They also told me it does not matter whether or not I have data roaming turned on when I leave UK.

They don't seem to understand that the message which said: " Because you did not have Data Roaming switched on when you left your home netework you have lost connection to Data Roaming" came from O2 themselves.

Where does that leave me?

Message 7 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122355 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Tafia

You can turn mobile data/data roaming on at anytime ....wherever you are abroad.

When I go to Spain and on the plane, it's turned off. If and when I need to use it after I land, I just turn it on.

I have no problems at all.

If yours didn't work, you must have had a roaming bar on your account  (as said above).

Before you travel abroad again you need to ring customer services and ask them to make sure your data roaming is enabled with no bars on your account.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 15

Tafia
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just had a live chat with O2 and have not got any further. They say I don't need to have data roaming turned on when I leave UK as long as mobile data is switched on which it was.

So with both mobile data and date roaming switched on I lot connection with data when I left UK.

Up a gum tree?

Message 9 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
As my first rely. Check international roaming is enabled on your account. Customer service need to check this for you and also check that your network settings are on auto on your phone.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 15