Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data roaming didn't work abroad as it was switched off when I left UK

Tafia
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I changed my O2 tariff to give me 2GB of data for a trip abroad. When I turned on the data in Norway I saw the message: 'You have lost access to data abroad because you didn't have data roaming turned on when you left UK' or similiar wording.

Why are we not made aware of this? I don't normally use data roaming in UK but needed it when abroad.

Surely we should have data roaming available when needed. We have paid for it after all.

So there I was a lon gway form home with no access for data roaming.

Anyone else had this problem?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

With due respect @Tafia you are asking live chat the wrong question.

We know how data roaming works when abroad.

What you haven't checked is whether you have international roaming enabled, or a roaming bar on your account.

I also wouldn't talk to live chat who have limited experience with roaming. You would be far better off ringing customer services to check this https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 15

Tafia
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I did ring customer services and they assured me my account was fine and that: "data roaming must be turned on at your end" ( ie, on my phone, which it was)

As mentioned, the chap I spoke with at customer services told me, as you say, that it makes no difference whether I have data roaming turned on when I leave UK.

If that is true then why did I get the message, on more than one occasion abroad, and from O2, to say "because you did not have data roaming turned on when you left your home network you have lost connection to data roaming"

Chap at customer services said  he had never heard of the problem and yet O2 sent a message to confirm it was a known issue.

Message 12 of 15

Tafia
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 assured me that I can use my phone in Europe as if I was in UK. it seems international roaming if that is different would only become an issue outside Europe.

From the O2 site:

Going abroad?

We cover roaming in our Europe Zone as part of our tariffs. So you can use your phone just like you do at home.

If you are travelling outside of our Europe Zone you can get data texts and calls for £4.99 a day.

Message 13 of 15

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Roaming is roaming as soon as you leave the UK. It matters not if EUROPE or anywhere else.
I too have never seen that message you had, so if you've checked everything that has been mentioned, I'm no wiser to your problem than you are unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 15

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I get that message on my Thai sim when I turn the phone on but I've also got the message from O2 when I travel there because mobile data and data roaming are turned off until the Thai sim goes in. Must be a standard international warning.

Message 15 of 15