Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data pricing on Classic PAYG

Exazet
Level 3: Thinker
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yesterday evening I noticed on MyO2 that the Classic PAYG tariff had been reduced so I decided to try out data access from my home. First I checked my current balance then I switched on Mobile Data and did some surfing on my phone while using my laptop to periodically refresh the page showing my balance. There was no change for a while, then it jumped down by exactly £1.00. A bit later it jumped down exactly another £1.00. 

On checking the T&Cs I see that the balance is updated every 20MB. As it jumped in £1.00 steps it seems that I was probably charged at the previous rate of 5p/MB, not the 1p/MB that was published on the MyO2 page at the time. Then, bizarrely, the balance jumped back up a bit, by 79p!

Questions:

1. Why was I charged the 5p/MB rate when the published rate was 1p/MB and, whether it was a billing error or a premature publication of the new rates, am I due a refund?
  2. Why would my balance suddenly have gone back up again?

I was pleased with the speeds, by the way - I've very rarely used mobile data as previous results with other carriers had been pathetic. I'm rather disappointed at the billing irregularities though.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The price change was today 18th Jan so anything prior to midnight would have been charged at 5p per mb.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
  • 122814 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Exazet For Classic PAYG data rates info is here

"No data capped. Your Top Up balance will be deducted after every 20MB block of data usage or if the data session is ended (whichever happens first). There is a minimum charge of 1p per data session. The cost of each data session is rounded up to the nearest whole penny".

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go

I would think you probably used your 20mb as you were popping in and out using it.

However if you have any concerns then give customer services a call as we have no access to your account Dial 4445 to speak to them..https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
The price change was today 18th Jan so anything prior to midnight would have been charged at 5p per mb.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 8

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I wasn't popping in and out, I was surfing continuously as a test. I don't dispute that I used 20+MB because I was visiting news pages containing images. 

Message 4 of 8

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

That's what I suspected. They updated the tariff on the MyO2 page yesterday evening though - that's what made me try it. Charging more than the published price is plain wrong, I'm very surprised a company with the size and experience of O2 would make a mistake like that. I'll contact Customer Service and see what they have to say. 

I tried mobile data again this afternoon and the charge now seems to be correct at 1p/MB. However, I experienced a repeat of the phenomenon where the balance went down more than expected and then "bounced" back up again to the correct figure. Is that normal with O2 billing?

Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122814 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@ExazetThats fine. I think @MI5 has given you the correct answer. I'm not on PAYG so didn't realise this started today. (18th) However if you do have any further queries then give CS a call..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Yes o2’s billing can be a bit up and down as the various systems feed in information.
They have to wait for the hamster to get the wheel up to speed too wink

Currently using:
Message 7 of 8

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Contacted Customer Services on Live Chat. It does seem that they rather jumped the gun with the publication on MyO2 of the lower rates before they actually applied. Customer Services were very helpful though and credited my account to make up the difference, plus a little as a goodwill gesture. Happy enough with that.

While I was online to them I also asked about the balance "bouncing back up". It seems that as the Classic PAYG doesn't have any inclusive data allowance, they debit by £1 when you start using it. When the data session ends the system calculates your actual usage and refunds the excess. Seems a bit odd but presumably it makes sense internally. I don't know if it's considered bad form in here to anwser one's own post but I thought I'd pass the details on for the benefit of anyone else searching for an explanation of this phenomenon.

Message 8 of 8