Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data in Europe Zone on PAYG Classic

Exazet
Level 3: Thinker
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I might be taking a cruise holiday in the near future. The countries on the itinerary would all be in O2's Europe Zone and I'm on the PAYG Classic tariff. The "Roaming with PAYG" section in this helpful post indicates that any outgoing calls & texts will just be charged as if I were in the UK with no charges for incoming calls, which is great. The one thing I'm likely to want though is data, and I can't see from that post what data charges would be. Is it the same 1p/MB as I'd pay in the UK, and are there any data bundles available for PAYG Classic? Alternatively, would it be possible (and cost-effective) to use a separate data SIM in my phone's second slot?

Another thought: what happens if I use my phone while at sea (if it's even possible)? Presumably it would be considered within the Europe Zone out to 12nm from the coast of a Europe Zone member but is it ROW outside that, even when within the exclusive economic zone?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

OK, thanks.

Message 11 of 14

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Recently back from the cruise that was the subject of this thread so I thought I'd add a few comments of what I actually experienced.

The ship had an local web site (it referred to it as an 'app' but it was actually just a web site) for accessing details about restaurants, menus, entertainment schedules, excursions, safety procedures etc. and also for raising questions or reporting problems. That was accessed via the ship's Wi-Fi network, for which there was no charge (but no internet connection, naturally). Turning off Wi-Fi would prevent access to that, so not really an option.

When entering coverage of different countries there was often a text message from O2Roaming announcing the fact and outlining the tariff e.g. "Welcome to GREECE. Calls to the UK and within our Europe Zone are charged at the same rate as your UK tariff". That didn't seem to happen in every region though: Albania was announced when just sailing past its coastline, and Montenegro when we moored there, but no announcement from the Europe Zone countries visited in between (Italy, Slovenia or Croatia) - no idea why not.

There were occasions when my phone reported that the available carrier was a satellite-based system ("GLOBAL NETWORKS" or "ship's mobile network") but as far as I could tell it never attempted to make any data connections without an explicit request. I just kept Wi-Fi ON most of the time, and mobile data OFF except when in port or ashore in a Europe Area country but it was rarely needed - Wi-Fi was available to customers at nearly all restaurants, cafes and bars anyway, and even as a free general  (though patchy) service by some towns organisations.

Hope that might be of some use or interest to anyone doing something similar in future.

Message 12 of 14

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12575 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1153 Solutions

Thanks for the update @Exazet 

Might be worth keeping an eye on your bill for the next 2 cycles in case any additional charges get posted late (which does happen - o2 depend on the other network sending them details about the charges).

As for the Albania and Montenegro notifications - they will be from your phone making a connection to the network even if for a brief time!

Not sure why nothing came through for the rest though...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 13 of 14

Exazet
  • 25 Posts
  • 5 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I'm on PAYG so AFAIAA I don't have cycles but I'll try to keep an eye on my balance to see if anything unexpected happens. If they clear out the entire fiver I'll just have to accept the financial ruin.

Understood about the notifications being prompted by even a brief presence in their coverage, it's the absence of notifications from the others that I found surprising. Not something I'll lose sleep over though.

Message 14 of 14