Did you mean: 

Confirming how to keep my SIM alive as I live in the USA

Mark-USA
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 17 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi,

I just switched to an 02 SIM for use in the UK (I'm an expat in the USA and visit every year once or twice).

I understand that I have to do something chargeable every 6 months.

My question is does it have to be a call or will a text suffice as the latter roaming charge is 50p vs 2.00 pounds?

Obviously cheaper and easier to text but, since this is the first 6 month period after picking up the new Sims in the summer I want to make sure it's right as I let everyone over there know my new UK number plus I want to keep my credit for use as soon as I land and not lose everything!

Cheers,

Mark

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Hi @Mark-USA 

Anything chargeable will keep sim active.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

Hi @Mark-USA 

Anything chargeable will keep sim active.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

Mark-USA
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 17 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thanks much. A txt it is. 

And I should say how much better than Orange O2 is. A fraction of the cost and not a dying system! The only reason I stuck with it was because of the magic feature of being able to keep everything alive with a 6 month txt that was rare until O2 started doing it. Thats the feature that keeps us expats hooked forever as its nice to have a consistent number for friends, family, and business when in the UK.

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 144171 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

That's good to know.
All the best....

PS. Don't forget that you need to top up every 999 days too, but you'll probably do that sooner anyway.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4