Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges

Monkeymoo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ive ordered a phone for my son, i did classic pay as you go. Im just checking tht my bank card will not be charged every month for £10 credit. As i cant find anything online too say weather it will or wont be. Hes 8 so not actualy wanting him too have credit on his phone. Its more so i can phone him if needed. I dont want too pay out for credit every month as its just a waste!
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
No account will be closed as long as it is used to make a chargeable call at least once every 6 months.
That is clarity from someone who has been with O2 since BT Cellnet and from 7+ years experience on the forum!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122823 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Totally agree @MI5 and pretty much as I said yesterday.

However, the one thing I do want clarification on is "the need to top up every 6 months"(which is now showing in the terms and conditions.)

This has never, to my knowledge, been a requirement before. It seems to have replaced the chargeable call every 6 months.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 18

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

You are correct @Cleoriff 

The 6 month top up has always been in there (going back years) the reason why it only shows in the classic T&C's is because you have to top up monthly if on a bundle.

It was always felt that it was a way to "encourage" customers to top up more frequently and hence generate revenue for O2. It also means that the costs associated with keeping a number active are covered by means other than the odd call every 6 months or so for very low users.

No network will keep a number active that isn't used for more than 6 months, not least, they would run out of numbers to provide customers with.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122823 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Additionally the 'top up every 6 months' rule is more than farcical when some low users only ever use their phone to say 'they have arrived safely' or 'How are you'...etc etc etc.

Probably spending no more than £3-4 every 6 months! They would end up accumulating credit they will never use, if they 'had' to top up every 6 months.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 18

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
If I think about it, back when PAYG first came out, texts were about 50p each, so £10 would get you 20 texts!
Topping up every 6 months then, even for low users, wasn't unreasonable.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122823 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I know...but look at how things have changed now...wink

• Calls are 3p a minute.
  • Texts are 2p.
  • Data is 1p a MB.
  • Calls to customer service are free of charge
  • Calls to Voicemail are 3p a call.

I mean, 2p for a text. open_mouth

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 18

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You were even charged to receive a call back then wink

Currently using:
Message 17 of 18

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

I understand what you are saying @MI5 in every sense.

Gosh everything is so understandable having read further down the postings

also with @Cleoriff 

It would still be nice to have clarity though, it's not good to have T&C's that don't

reflect what is the situation in reality.

I have been working on the assumption that  calls

every 6 months minimum are ok to keep the sim active.

I am understanding the commercial aspect and 

that this facility for very low users by the networks may not be worthwhile. weary

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 18 of 18