Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges

Monkeymoo
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ive ordered a phone for my son, i did classic pay as you go. Im just checking tht my bank card will not be charged every month for £10 credit. As i cant find anything online too say weather it will or wont be. Hes 8 so not actualy wanting him too have credit on his phone. Its more so i can phone him if needed. I dont want too pay out for credit every month as its just a waste!
Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Monkeymoo 

With Classic PAYG, you just top up when needed. All you need to know is here.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Monkeymoo 

With Classic PAYG, you just top up when needed. All you need to know is here.

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/classic-pay-as-you-go 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 18

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
@Cleoriff
Just dropping by and briefly read the link.
Just check with me as I thought that Paygo classic, to keep account in good order all you needed to do was make a chargeable call every six months Minimum. Reading the link it says top up £10 and to be quite honest found it tough reading 🤔
Need to check as family member has one and is not topping up as doesn't need to very low user, but is making calls and texting every month or so.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@TallTrees 

The making of a chargeable call every 6 months to keep your sim active is part of the requirement for PAYG

It does say this at the top of the page...

If you don't top up, or add a Bolt On at least once in any six month period, your mobile will be disconnected and you'll lose any credit on your account. If you want to be reconnected you'll be given a new mobile number.

However, the OP simply said they didn't want to top up every month.

I didn't find it difficult to understand at all.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 18

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
I thought the link to o2 conditions was tough reading for me @Cleoriff
The link to o2 says you must top up by £10 every 6 months or they will disconnect the phone. Doesn't mention to keep sim active chargeable call / text every six months keeps sim active. It says you have to top up by £10 . Thought that I should ask, lady above would be advised to make a chargeable call from her sons phone every 6 months minimum but doesn't need to top up by £10.00 unless needs to.
Extra to what this lady asked, would be that she or her son should make a chargeable call every 6 months to keep the sim active.
It is confusing 🤔

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 5 of 18

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Dear @Monkeymoo
Hope you are ok with the understanding of this .
It is not difficult

Presently we are of the understanding that ~
1. You do not need to top up every month
2. You must make a chargeable call of some sort to keep your sim active, every 6 months.
3. The minimum top up is £10.00
4. You only need to top up if you need to.
Good luck and best wishes enjoy your o2 paygo classic sim TallTrees

Note ~ this will be confirmed by our Community Managers 

so as we are all properly informed.

As they say "watch this space" !! smiling

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122845 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Yes I understand if you are looking at the terms and conditions @TallTrees 

However, as we know from experience it's actually making a chargeable call every 6 months will keep the sim active

Topping up used to be every 999 days and there is no mention of that. (and hasn't been for a few months now).

Maybe we should ask @Marjo @EmilieT or @Martin-O2 about the £10 top up every 6 months.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 18

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
That is a good idea @Cleoriff as it is a very uncomfortable feeling, especially that ALL your money in the account will be lost 🥺👎
Obviously those on PAYGO are at risk because they are under the current written rules which WE always mention should be read🤔🥺😥!!
I particularly would like to know for sure.
True the 999 days isn't there either and as we are discussing neither is the chargeable call.
Thanks Cleo for your understanding and as always support.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 18

jonsie
  • 93190 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I think when we advise that a chargeable call or text need to be made in any 6 month period it is self explanatory and any further advice just muddies the water and is needless. It's not difficult to understand when explained simply, The 999 days is often quoted, it is not written into the terms and conditions and is word of mouth from a previous O2 employee and I don't see this ever being a criteria for P&G users.

Why confuse the OP more than is needed?

Message 9 of 18

TallTrees
  • 10765 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Dear @jonsie 

I respect your considerable experience and knowledge with regard to mobile phones and

mobile phone operations.

1. surely it cannot be right that we ignore the actual T&C's written by O2 themselves

on PAYGO and merely rely on a nameless O2 employee who "says" that the written Terms and Conditions are incorrect?

1(a) I can take into account that this "may" be "custom and practice" and hasn't been enforced.

2. Is it possible that it is a Rule somewhere in the mists from Ofcom that the T&C's we are discussing

are not enforeable as long as the phone is used?

2(a)I have been a paygo customer on Orange (now EE) and the rule of a charageable call every 6    months applies there.  However, I did not read (much to my embarrassmentdizzy)  the Terms and Conditions in full.

3.  My point is that as "we" are providing information to o2 customers who are "rightly so" concerned about this point in particular and have few resources available to continually pay £10.00 per month to keep their Sim active (as T&C's imply) and it would seem ridiculous anyway ~

"we" should make sure we are right somehow.  

If this is, for some reason, not possible? Then "we" should add a caveat ~ 

This is through "custom and practice" or something similar.

Searching through the enquiries over time

I note that this subject has never been "laid to rest" properly.

At the moment one member of my family who also does not wish to put in £10.00 per month on o2 paygo classic but will shortly be arriving at their 6 months sim time with o2

now has the "sword of damocles" hanging over their head - with more than £20.00 in their account and very low usage, as elderly and doesn't chatinnocent  Mainly there for contact and the odd

call ~ can't text.  I suggested they move to O2 cool

What would you tell my Elderly Relative?

"just carry on and see if the T&C's take your money and close your account on your 6 month anniversary"

Here's hoping for some clarity to Sooth the Nervessmiley

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 10 of 18